Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

issue recovering ORBI Password

c-p
Aspirant
Aspirant

issue recovering ORBI Password

When I enter the information to retrieve my ADMIN password, the info flashes so fast I can't capture it. How can I slow it down or get the info sent to my email?

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: issue recovering ORBI Password

There have been a couple of questions lately along this line.  The consensus appears to be that during initial setup, the user skipped over the step of selecting questions and entering answers, but the "Recovery" box remained checked.  So when the user attempts password recovery, the process cannot work correctly.  The web page loops forever.

As I recall, the only solution at this point is to perform a "factory reset" and do the setup again.  This time being very careful (1) to record the admin password in several places, and (2) to go very slowly over the password recovery setup and record which questions were asked and what the answers are (if the answer input was "William" and when asked the user types in "Bill" -- that FAILS).

Not what you were looking for.  Maybe someone will have an easier solution.

Message 2 of 9

@CrimpOn wrote:

Maybe someone will have an easier solution.

Only if @c-p can tells us what they are doing and where it goes wrong.

Did they actually enable password recovery?

Message 3 of 9
c-p
Aspirant
Aspirant

I successfully entered the serial number and the answers to my security questions. Username/Password flashes for about 1 second then disappears. I am using Chrome browser on Mac.  I can't stop the username/password from disappearing so quickly.

Message 4 of 9
c-p
Aspirant
Aspirant

I successfully entered the serial number and the answers to my security questions. Username/Password flashes for about 1 second then disappears. I am using Chrome browser on Mac.  I can't stop the username/password from disappearing so quickly.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try Safari or Firefox browsers on Mac? 

Message 6 of 9
c-p
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same behaviour with both of those browsers

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR, walk thru the setup wizard and this time, write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Message 8 of 9

@c-p wrote:

Did you actually provide the answers to those questions when you set it up?

Those are generic questions. The router does not know your life history. Unless you actually provided those answers some time, it is just throwing up a random set of questions.

@c-p wrote:

Username/Password flashes for about 1 second then disappears.

And what do you see then? An error message? Back to the recovery screen?

As @FURRYe38 says, a factory reset is probably the solution.

The router will probably force you to enable password recovery when you do that.

It is hard for anyone to access your local network and to hijack your router, so, unless you are terminally paranoid, or live with a bunch of hackers, you can probably disable password recovery before you forget the password again.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7