Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

performances RBK53 - pretty poor

MarcoBru
Tutor

performances RBK53 - pretty poor

In this we I installed my brand new RBK53, as substitusion of my previous network based on apple airport.

I've different floor to cover with my network.

I placed 1 satellite on the mezzanine, router in living room, other satellite in the lower flow perfectly below the router (linear distance maybe 3 meters)

I'm very upset of the bad performances, definetly WORSE than the apple devices.

The signal for the satellite in the lower flow are indicated as "not sufficient", sometimes the led turns on yellow.

Is there some option that I can fine tune or it is better to repack these toys and send back to amazon?

thanx!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: performances RBK53 - pretty poor

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Is the Orbi system a new or refurbished unit from Amazon?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 8
MarcoBru
Tutor

thank you for your thorough support!!!

Answers:

What Firmware is currently loaded? last one, I did the update after installation

ISP modem I don't know these data, but my connection is 30MBs. My claim is however for the internal network speed, and mostly lack of network coverage

Orbi system operating in Router and NEW

What channels are you using? Auto

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Yes One + guest

thanx for the hints, I'm going to test this evening!

In the meanwhite, that's the status

As I wrote, distance between router and satellite 2 is 1 floor, 3 meters in vertical.

https://postimg.cc/dZDX7XYG

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@MarcoBru wrote:

Answers:

What Firmware is currently loaded? last one, I did the update after installation. To confirm, v2.5.1.8? 

ISP modem I don't know these data, but my connection is 30MBs. My claim is however for the internal network speed, and mostly lack of network coverage. Test both wired and wireless speeds? 

Orbi system operating in Router and NEW

What channels are you using? Auto

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Yes One + guest

thanx for the hints, I'm going to test this evening!

In the meanwhite, that's the status

As I wrote, distance between router and satellite 2 is 1 floor, 3 meters in vertical. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 8
MarcoBru
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@MarcoBru wrote:

Answers:

What Firmware is currently loaded? last one, I did the update after installation. To confirm, v2.5.1.8?  Just cheched now, Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30 😞 Where can I find 2.5?? this one is recognized as the latest one 

https://postimg.cc/HrHLM4rV

ISP modem I don't know these data, but my connection is 30MBs. My claim is however for the internal network speed, and mostly lack of network coverage. Test both wired and wireless speeds? 

I have a NAS connected in satellite1, and a smart tv on satellite 2, now I can't stream HD video that with airport connections used to run fine

As I wrote, distance between router and satellite 2 is 1 floor, 3 meters in vertical. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

30 feets should be fine, in my case we are talking of less that 10 feets (with flooring in between). as sq feet, we are talking about 1600 each floor

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

Please find the Mfr and model# of ISP modem if you have one. 

30 feet is Minimum distance between RBS and RBR. Includes flooring. Unless your building is made of concrete and metal. 

Message 6 of 8
MarcoBru
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

can you please confirm that mine is the latest firmware?

Please find the Mfr and model# of ISP modem if you have one. 

Actually, the Orbi router is in PPOE mode, I suppose I can consider itself the modem.

30 feet is Minimum distance between RBS and RBR. Includes flooring. Unless your building is made of concrete and metal. 

So, as expected "poor" for a much shorter distance is very strange, also considering that the apple setup was creating the mesh network without big issues

___

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the FW update on the RBS first then RBR lastly. Factory reset and setup from scratch. I would add the RBS later and just test with the RBR alone.  

If the RBR is working in PPPoE mode then there is a modem before the RBR and the RBR is just interfacing with the PPPoE account from your ISP service. 

Is the RBS out at 30 feet? 

Try this, turn OFF the RBS and just leave the RBR on. Speed test thru the RBR. What devices do you have connected? 

Does a wired PC have good speeds vs wireless? 

If the Orbi doesn't work well after all this, you may have a faulty system which needs to returned or replaced. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7