Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

"Blind spot" just between the two RBK50 router/satellite

awasen
Follower

"Blind spot" just between the two RBK50 router/satellite

First off, I am very pleased with the perfomance of the Orbi solution. I've tested a lot of different sytems, routes, extenders, etc. but have always ran into problems as I live in a house built with concrete...

The problem/question I have is if there is any way to "isolate" the WiFi client to a specific unit, eihter the Satellite or the Router. My dining room sits right between the two and I see problems with laptops, phones (both Andriod and iPhone) at two or three places around the table where the Internet access is flakey. The WiFi is a steady 5/5 but Internet goes on/off and doing a WiFi analysis I can see that the connection jumps between the sattelite and the router constantly and each jump causes a short Internet drop.

Is there some setting that will prioritize one specific unit or make them less "competitive"?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: "Blind spot" just between the two RBK50 router/satellite

A potential fix is to simply move the satellites a few feet further away. Turning on "Fast Roaming" could provide a less competetive environment. Finally, decreasing the power output of either the 5 gHz or 2.4 gHz signals could also help. I'd advise only doing one of these at a time to see which results in the best connectivity. Sometimes finding the correct combination of satellite placement seems more like an art than science. Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: "Blind spot" just between the two RBK50 router/satellite

I would disable the 2nd Satellite and test only with the main router and 1 Satellite and see how the system and devices work. I'm only using 1 Satellite and router in my 5000sq ft house. Performance and range is stellar. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7