Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unreliable satellite

unreliable satellite

Tired of poor connectivity in a corner of my house, spent the money to get an orbi router + satellite about a year ago. At first, all was well, then about 6 months later, I had to move the satellite closer, as it could no longer stay connected, and few months afterwards, it got even worse.

Finally decided to look at this more closely, I have an RBR40 (now V2.1.4.10) + RBW30 (now V2.1.3.6), and I'm seeing the satellite disconnect several times an hour, and observing up to 20% packet loss (measured over an hour) to the satellite. Needless to say, that kind of performance is unacceptable.

I've seen a lot of complaints about recent firmware on the forums, but this seems even worse, Could it be defective hardware?

(I've opened a case with support, but it's been a frustrating experience to put it nicely.)

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: unreliable satellite

Did the 30 come with the RBR 40 system? Or was it an add on? 

What is the distance between the satellite and Orbi router? Feet? 

Message 2 of 8

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did the 30 come with the RBR 40 system? Or was it an add on? 

I bought them together, but I think they were sold separately although I don't remember for sure. How does this matter?

What is the distance between the satellite and Orbi router? Feet? 

about 25-30ft, different floor, but no doors in between them. Satellite used to be another 10ft away and worked like a charm.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen some posts where the 30 unit doesn't work work well with the host router. I have a 40 series router and 20 series satellite. No issues.

Try moving the 30 back to the other place where it worked better? 30ft is kind of on the board of minimum starting distance. 40 feet may be better. Mines at 40 feet. Zero issues .Try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chaing and Fast Roaming and see if this helps. 

Might contact NG support and see if there is something they can help with. Can you return the 30 series unit and find something different? Maybe the RBS40 would work better the the 30 does...

Message 4 of 8

I'll try the other location again with these new firmware versions, but when I last tried a week ago, it was much worse, so not very hopeful.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Could revert back to prior working version...

Message 6 of 8

reverting's not practical:

1. I don't know what version it was when it worked
  2. Orbi's auto-update to the latest

Put the satellite further away, there seems to be less packet loss, but latency is very variable resulting in a terrible experience. Unfortunately, I haven't started recording that yet. As I just looked, connection was reported to be "poor" between the two.

MIMO and Fast Roaming were already off, just turned Daisy Chaining off as well.. we shall see.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the system and set up from scratch as last resort if this still continues. 

If the satellite still doesn't work well, try moving it. 

Might be a bad unit and needs replaced as well. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7