Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending Wifi to roof

mcs012377
Follower

Extending Wifi to roof

I live in a tall, skinny, city home and I’m trying to extend my WiFi signal to my roof deck.

I have 3 floors and a roof deck.

Floor 1: kitchen + living room. Floor 2: home office + bedroom. Floor 3: bedrooms 2 & 3

I have Verizon Fios internet and use the Orbi AX600 (RBK852). The router is located on floor 2. Satellites are located on floor 1 and 3. I have excellent coverage and fast speeds absolutely everywhere in the home.

But I cannot get any WiFi signal on the roof. I’m looking for advice on the best things to try to extend signal to my roof.

I have tried moving the satellite on 3rd floor satellite to top of the stairs to the roof - Inside, at the top of the stairs to the roof, WiFi is fast and strong. On the roof - on the other side of the door - I get no signal at all.  But if I crack the door open, the signal extends to the roof.

So far the best solution I can come up with is to put the satellite at the top of the steps and leave the door open. But this isn’t optimal and would like to find a better solution.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe a solid layer of signal and bulding materials preventing any kind of singnals to pass thru and the distance from the nearest RBS to the root maybe too far. Your best suggestion would be to put a wire connection from the nearest RBS to an out side location to where you could use a outdoor enclosure box with a power outlet and install another RBS in this box. Something like a RBS40v. 

Message 2 of 14
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

What can help is if you provide details on the roofing material or construction methods?   For example, I have an 80 year metal roof, essentially a solid barrier to WiFi signals.   

A number of the roofing technologies out now have reinforcing fibers/materials that can also be an excellent WiFi barrier.    Metal, Concrete as well as ductwork have a signal blocking aspect to them.   If there is a window on the 3rd floor that is closest possible to the roof deck, I'd postition the RBS850 there so that signal can get through the glass to the area.     Signal strength could still be low, especially as some Low E (low emission) glass has some WiFi blocking characteristics.

Another method is to take a 5G hotspot up to the deck with you when you need WiFi, depending on your roof construction that might be your only solution without a significant cost and change to your roof.    Penetrating the roofing/construction to get WiFi and ethernet could ruin the roofs warranty and allow weather penetration into your home.

Good luck!   Let us know how this goes and what solution you end up with.

Message 3 of 14
kingtom
Tutor

@mcs012377 wrote:

I live in a tall, skinny, city home and I’m trying to extend my WiFi signal to my roof deck.

Floor 1: kitchen + living room. Floor 2: home office + bedroom. Floor 3: bedrooms 2 & 3

I have Verizon Fios internet and use the Orbi AX600 (RBK852). The router is located on floor 2. Satellites are located on floor 1 and 3. I have excellent coverage and fast speeds absolutely everywhere in the home.

But I cannot get any WiFi signal on the roof. I’m looking for advice on the best things to try to extend signal to my roofers.

I have tried moving the satellite on 3rd floor satellite to top of the stairs to the roof - Inside, at the top of the stairs to the roof, WiFi is fast and strong. On the roof - on the other side of the door - I get no signal at all.  But if I crack the door open, the signal extends to the roof.

So far the best solution I can come up with is to put the satellite at the top of the steps and leave the door open. But this isn’t optimal and would like to find a better solution.

I am also looking for the same solution.

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 4 of 14
parkwater
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There maybe a solid layer of signal and bulding materials preventing any kind of singnals to pass thru and the distance from the nearest RBS to the root maybe too far. Your best suggestion would be to put a wire connection from the nearest purifier RBS to an out side location to where you could use a outdoor enclosure box with a power outlet and install another RBS in this box. Something like a RBS40v. 

You have an amazing peace of knowledge i have checked really thanks for your help

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Is there a power outlet on your rooftop deck? If yes then get a pair of ethernet over power adapters. Plug the nearest satellite into the adapter and plug a wifi router into the adapter on the roof. Depending on your home wiring it might not work but worth a try.

The adapters work best if they are plugged into outlets on the same circuit breaker.
Message 7 of 14
techupdate0
Tutor

@mcs012377 wrote:

But I cannot get any WiFi signal on the Gym roof. I’m looking for advice on the best things to try to extend signal to my roof.

its really amazing stuff thanks for sharing the marvelous information i have alot of question regarding this but your one conclusion have handled my all confusions. Really thanks again.

Message 8 of 14
techupdate0
Tutor

@mcs012377 wrote:

But I cannot get any WiFi signal on the roof. I’m looking for advice on the best things to try to extend signal to my roof.

I have tried moving the satellite on 3rd floor satellite to top of the stairs to the roof - Inside, at the top of the stairs to the roof, WiFi is fast and strong. On the roof - on the other side of the door - I get no signal at all.  But if I crack the door open, the signal extended stay hotel near me to the roof.

Very amazing stuff i really appreciate your effort and time.  i knew everyone is busy on their own schedule but you have donate your time for the community. I am very thank full for you.

Many thanks

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@mcs012377 wrote:

Message 10 of 14
alexweekly
Initiate

@SeaRefractor wrote:

What can help is if you provide details on the roofing material or construction methods?   For example, I have an 80 year metal roof, essentially a solid barrier to WiFi signals.   

A number of the roofing technologies out now have reinforcing fibers/materials that can also be an excellent WiFi barrier.    Metal, Concrete as well as ductwork have a signal blocking aspect to them.   If there is a window on the 3rd floor that is closest possible to the roof deck, I'd postition the RBS850 there so that signal can get through the glass to the area.     Signal strength could still be low, especially as some Low E kbc lucky draw (low emission) glass has some WiFi blocking characteristics.

Another method is to take a 5G hotspot up to the deck with you when you need WiFi, depending on your roof construction that might be your only solution without a significant cost and change to your roof.    Penetrating the roofing/construction to get WiFi and ethernet could ruin the roofs warranty and allow weather penetration into your home.

Good luck!   Let us know how this goes and what solution you end up with.

Hi, Many thanks for this question Actually I am facing the same problem but I was unable to find the best solution. After seeing your post now I have got an idea to solve my problem. So, the credit goes to you. 

Message 11 of 14
steveflint
Aspirant

Does your home Wi-Fi network need an extra room's worth of coverage? A range extender might be just what you need -- here's everything you need.1) Buy a mesh Wi-Fi kit.Buy a mesh Wi-Fi kit or  Buy a Wi-Fi extender / booster and Buy a powerline networking adapter set with Wi-Fi on car even during cardetaling for better wifi network.

Message 12 of 14
hdse333
Aspirant

Have the equal problem. Bluetooth recognises but pairing takes too lengthy. No assist from Logitech guide with roof. Does every person have any recommendations?

Message 13 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@hdse333 wrote:

Have the equal problem. Bluetooth recognises but pairing takes too lengthy. No assist from Logitech guide with roof. Does every person have any recommendations?

WiFi routers do not supply Bluetooth.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a new post describing the situation in detail.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7