Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 852 losing connection to wifi constantly

Stahl101
Guide

Orbi 852 losing connection to wifi constantly

Hi All,

I am Constantly losing wifi connection on my Orbi RBK852. Units which are with cable works fine.

In the App the RBR850 changes between online and offline.

RBS850 (satellite) is online all the time.

I tried to reset, updating to newest software, restarting, but nothing is working.

Firmware: v4.6.8.2

Hope this is solved and i just couldn't find it.

Best regards

Kim

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the status show on the RBS web page. 

There are some known issues happening with Orbi app which maybe falsely reporting router operation. 

Message 2 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

I saw it after i wrote the massage, and tried to the "new" downgrade 4.6.3.16 and now its all F..... no Wifi at all.

😒

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Id you first downgrade the RBS then the RBR lastly?

Does pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release and connect a wired PC to the RBR should bring up the setup wizard at HTTP and 192.168.1.1 in a web browser?

Message 4 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

I tried to factory reset, and got to install everything again, without any changes, so i wouldnt recomend that, knowing that it's only is a waste of time. (in my case)

I downgraded to the "new downgrade" NG posted and still nothing changed (RBS first, RBR second). Ill wait, and to see if Ng figures something out, otherwise its another brand i have to use.

Thanks for your help and reply.

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you reach out to NG support and ask for additional help and information on this:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 6 of 21
FarmerBob1
Luminary

When @FURRYe38 mentioned "Resetting", what he really meant was using a Paperclip in the "Reset Pin-Hole" on the back above the Power Light. That's a "Pin-Hole" reset that usually fixes most all evils. Not a "Factory Reset".

When I had similar problems this is what I do and did with one of the last FW installs that didn't work out too well. Below is a repeat of an earlier post of which "Yup it's scary!!!" I hope it helps and give you a resource for the future and a way to install Firmware.

From having this same issue the last update I did:

1. Factory Reset all three of my units;
  2. Power Cycled them;
  3. Pin-Hole Reset them;
  4. Went into the RBR when they all came back up, using 192.168.1.1. Can't use the Mobile App since I have a Tagged VLAN PPPOE Login to my Fiber provider;
  5. Updated the Firmware on all three;
  6. Pin-Hole Reset all three units;
  7. Unplugged the two Satellites off after they came back from the reset;
  8. Manually set up the RBR completely (I've done it so much that I have it all memorized);
  9. After the RBR was up and running to the Internet;
  10. Connected the Satellites and made sure they connected and the RBR saw them;
  11. Sat back and had a beer while I waited for all the clients to jump on . . . ;
  12. The next day I went into the RBR and checked that all was well;
  13. Then did my speed tests and whatnot;
  14. Looked through to see what was attached or not, fixed any of that;
  15. Waited for any screams when someone tried to do or watch something and it didn't work.
  16. Hid.

I've been dealing with OEM and OpenSource FWs on all kinds of devices: Routers, Switches, TVs, STBs, Computers, Blu-Ray Players, AppleTVs, Amazon Firesticks, Cars . . . for decades and have found that if you put the time and attention into it in the beginning, you're less likely to have any problems afterwards. Like "Bricked" devices. And it's not really the manufacturers "fault" if the proper process is involved and takes time. It just that's where we are at in technology. I only wish it was a Plug-n-Play World, but it's not. Soon.

Message 7 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

Hi farmerbob1.

What you explain is what i did, except for the beer, and maybe that’s where the fault is 🤣.
Joke aside, I tried everything you explained but still having an issue, and I am now waiting for the push update from NG.

Thx for replying
Message 8 of 21
FarmerBob1
Luminary

OK. I am so sorry that the "Magic Pin-Hole Reset" didn't do you any good. But do keep it in mind for future issues. Or a way to augment the way you install. I trust, the lack of Beer was the missing link to the process. 

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the issue your having have you tried the factory reset on the RBR? 

@Stahl101 wrote:
Hi farmerbob1.

What you explain is what i did, except for the beer, and maybe that’s where the fault is 🤣.
Joke aside, I tried everything you explained but still having an issue, and I am now waiting for the push update from NG.

Thx for replying

Message 10 of 21
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@Stahl101 Did you ever get things "resolved"?

Message 11 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

@FarmerBob1 Yes and no. When I never got an answer from NG, I startet to disconnect my smart home 58 units, and figured out when I connected my fresh air system from Genvex which is connected by cable, the router starts to get unstable. When it got unstable orbi constantly switch between online and offline. (have tried with several cables between Orbi and genvex)
I am now trying to figure out if it’s orbi that can’t handle Genvex connection or it’s Genvex that is defekt.

so yes and no, meaning I found out where the problems starts, but not the reason.

best regards.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of this Genvex system? 

By Cable, meaning ethernet cable? 

What CAT# is the cable your using between the Orbi as this Genvex system? 

How is it connected to the Orbi system? In back of the RBR? 

@Stahl101 wrote:

@FarmerBob1 Yes and no. When I never got an answer from NG, I startet to disconnect my smart home 58 units, and figured out when I connected my fresh air system from Genvex which is connected by cable, the router starts to get unstable. When it got unstable orbi constantly switch between online and offline. (have tried with several cables between Orbi and genvex)
I am now trying to figure out if it’s orbi that can’t handle Genvex connection or it’s Genvex that is defekt.

so yes and no, meaning I found out where the problems starts, but not the reason.

best regards.

Message 13 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

Model: genvex premium preheat 250

connection with ethernetcable CAT6E

tried connections:

ethernetcable to switch to RBR

Ethernetcable in back of RBS

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@Stahl101 wrote:

Model: genvex premium preheat 250

Not much networking information on this device. Something you may need to contact the mfr about and see if they have any additional information on there product. 

connection with ethernetcable CAT6E< 5E?, there isn't a 6E. CAT6 would be recommended. 

tried connections:

ethernetcable to switch to RBR<What is the brand and model# of the switch in between the device and RBR? 

Ethernetcable in back of RBS

Message 15 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

I have contacted genvex, and I am waiting for info. They gateway is in following link.

https://www.genvex.com/en/products/genvex-accessories/genvex-connect

Cabel S-FTP CAT6

switch. Netgaer gs108e plus switch

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the system exhibit issues if you take the NG switch out of the mix? 

Message 17 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

I just tried to disconnect the NG switch, and connect my units with ethernet cables to Orbi RBR, and when i do this, nothing works but the wifi.

I have just found an old switch and connected it to orbi and connected all the units ethernet cables to it, and then it works again.

Shouldn't my orbi work as a router when i connect ethernet cable to internet, and my other unit with ethernet cable in back of orbi ??

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using CAT6 cabling in between the RBR and RBS? 

If all cabling is GOOD, then  direct connect RBS via ethernet to the back of the RBR should work and not  effect internet services. If it is, there is a problem in cabling or something between the RBR and modem. Odd issue here.

Message 19 of 21
Stahl101
Guide

@FURRYe38 

I got working a bit more with the issue, and finally got connected with genvex. They told me that they had the experience before, and the costumer talked with internet supplier and they solved it together, what they did he didn't know. "great"

When i Connect genvex the issue with bad internet starts 24-48 hours after i connect it. what i have done now is making the IP on genvex static, and then wait.

I think the issue in this forum is solved, as it is a problem with some hardware in my house.

Thanks for the help.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope you can get it figured out. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation