Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 plus 2 x RBS850 satellites- 1 satellite cycles flashing white and solid blue light constantly

astonmartinv8
Aspirant

RBR850 plus 2 x RBS850 satellites- 1 satellite cycles flashing white and solid blue light constantly

Hi There,

I wonder if the community can help.

I recently purchased an RBK852 pack (1 x RBR850 and 1 x RBS850) PLUS an add-on RBS850 satellite (which was not part of the original pack). Firmware is V4.6.3.16 on all devices.

I have set it all up and it works. When I did this I had to factory reset all of the devices. The app and the orbilogin web access can see all three devices and all are working. However, the light on the add-on RBS850 constantly cycles through flashing white light and solid blue. Performance does not seem to be affected as multiple devices are connected to it (most by wifi and one wired). It is plugged into an 8 gang surge protected power strip.

I did look online and saw one thing on reddit, which suggested you generate a new backhaul password and this may clear it, which I did. I then re-synced the devices and the same problem recurred on the add-on RBS850 satellite. 

Any thoughts into how I might resolve?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 plus 2 x RBS850 satellites- 1 satellite cycles flashing white and solid blue light consta

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What happens if you swap RBS with each other?

Message 2 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

Re: RBR850 plus 2 x RBS850 satellites- 1 satellite cycles flashing white and solid blue light consta

ISP modem is a TP-Link Archer VR1600v.

Property is a single level 3-bed apartment, about 1750 sqft, sort of rectangular. Router is in the middle and about 30-35ft from each satellite. 2 x glass windows and fair bit of concrete wall between each in each direction.

I haven't swapped the RBS but will try that. Good point.

One thing I am wondering is whether I actually need a second satellite.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

For that size of home ya, having the RBR along with two RBS maybe too much wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

I would turn off one RBS ane reduce the transmit power on the RBR from 100% to 50%Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 4 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

Thank you. I went for option 3. Wifi was already turned off, but the Orbi was not in AP mode. Now it is. All of the Orbi's are still stable and performance is still the same.

The add-on satellite still cycles flashing white and solid blue light with no performance impact.

So the router is now in AP mode, but the original problem remains.

Does anyone know why the add-on satellite would constantly cycle through flashing white and solid blue light without any performance problem. What is the root cause of that? Does it signify a particular error?

Given my performance is good throughout the whole apartment, I am not sure about the too much wifi as yet, unless it is the cause of the add-on satellite's weird light cycle!

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you swap RBS location with the other RBS? 

Might remove the RBS from the RBRs web page, factory reset the RBS and then press the sync button on the RBS then the RBR. Do this with the RBS in the same room as the RBR. Turn OFF the other RBS temporarily while you work with this one RBS thats not working right.

Message 6 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

@FURRYe38thank you. I will give this all a try tomorrow and advise.

Message 7 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

Very interesting.

I swapped the satellites, so the lounge one (the "problem" one) is now in the bedroom and vice-versa. The one in the lounge now cycles blue and flashing white lights. The one in the bedroom (which was the problem one) now has all lights out, but works fine.

As I mentioned they are both about 35ft away from the router, with the router in the middle.

I am getting 93mb down and 36mb up consistently on all devices throughout the apartment, with a 100/40 internet service (which I plan to upgrade).

If I turn the now bedroom off, I will only get 60/20 in there, so its not feasible to get rid. Also I need the lounge one as it supplies a wired connection to a streamer I have there.

I'd love to know why the flashing cycle with no performance impact.

Message 8 of 14
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@astonmartinv8 

I am wondering if this is maybe a power issue?

When you swapped locations on the satellites - did you swap just the devices or did you also swap the power plugs with them as well?  Is there a different wall plug you can use?   Maybe take it out of the power strip and plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if it goes away.

You didn't mention if there was anything else using the same power strip - and maybe it is causing a slight constant surge/dip in the power going to the satellite.   And it could be the power adapter itself - and the theory could be tested by swapping the power packs between the satellites (if you didn't already) and see if the issue travels with the power packs.

The other option could be that the satellite is bouncing between connecting to the router and connecting to the other satellite.   A quick way to test that is to maybe move it to a different location in the same room  (if possible),  or change the position of the other satellite slightly just to change the distance ever so slightly  (a few feet may make a difference).

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what happens if you bring the one problem area RBS closer to the RBR? Same thing happens? 

@astonmartinv8 wrote:

Very interesting.

I swapped the satellites, so the lounge one (the "problem" one) is now in the bedroom and vice-versa. The one in the lounge now cycles blue and flashing white lights. The one in the bedroom (which was the problem one) now has all lights out, but works fine.

As I mentioned they are both about 35ft away from the router, with the router in the middle.

I am getting 93mb down and 36mb up consistently on all devices throughout the apartment, with a 100/40 internet service (which I plan to upgrade).

If I turn the now bedroom off, I will only get 60/20 in there, so its not feasible to get rid. Also I need the lounge one as it supplies a wired connection to a streamer I have there.

I'd love to know why the flashing cycle with no performance impact.

Message 10 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

@TC_in_Montana 

I think you may be right. I am powering the satellite through a 12-gang surge protected board. https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-black-12-outlet-general-purpose-surge-protected-rfi-filter-powerboar...

I am only using 3 of the 12 sockets.

I tested by plugging the satellite power supply straight into a wall socket.

Guess what, no flashing white / blue light cycle. Perhaps the board is causing the Orbi satellite to do this? I'd be keen to know why. 

Message 11 of 14
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@astonmartinv8 

Looks like this surge protector may be the culprit.  Can not explain why, but removing it from the equation seems to have resolved the issue.

If this appears to have resolved the issue, please be sure to mark as "Accept as Solution" so that others can see this has resolved their issue should they encounter the same types of problems and search the forums.

Message 12 of 14
astonmartinv8
Aspirant

The issue is back, no impact on performance, but rotating solid blue and flashing white cycles. Does anyone know what error or state the lights signify in this case?

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7