Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS 750 out of sync after rebooting the router

centaros
Aspirant

RBS 750 out of sync after rebooting the router

Hi,

I once rebooted my RBR750 and one of my RBS lost sync.. it showed solid magenta.

So I tried the sync few times but it never made it working again. Then I deleted the satelite in the router configuration and reset the satelite. When I turn it on it blinks white LED for a couple of minutes it becomes solid magenta again. Both satelite and router are in the same room. 

I don't understand why this satelite is not syncing while the other one which is very far from the router works fine.

Any idea to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS 750 out of sync after rebooting the router

IF you removed the RBS from the RBR, try a factory reset on the RBS by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Then try to re-sync to the RBR. Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS as last resort. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? Pull the power adapters from the wall outlet. 

Message 2 of 12
raven_au
Virtuoso

What does Web GUI -> Attached Devices say the IP address of the problem satellite is?

Are any other devices having a problem connecting?

Message 3 of 12
centaros
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 ,

I tried few thing based on what you mentioned. But they didn't work. Please take a look.

Trial #1

1. Pull the satellite power adapter from the wall for 1 min and put it back
  2. Pressed the sync button of the satellite
  3. Ran the sync process in the app. Sync failled.
  4. Got solid magenta LED on the satellite.

Trial #2

1. Pull the satellite power adapter from the wall for 1 min and put it back
  2. Pressed the reset button for 10 seconds (nothing happened)
  3. Pressed the sync button of the satellite.
  4. Ran the sync process in the app. Sync failled.

Trial #3

1. Pull the power adapters of modem, RBR750 router and the satellite from the wall for 1 min and put them back.
  2. Got solid magenta LED on the satellite.
  3. Pressed the sync button of the satellite.
  4. Ran the sync process in the app. Sync failled.

-JL

Message 4 of 12
centaros
Aspirant

Hi @raven_au,

In the web GUI, it was showning the satellite as "Disconnected" so I eventually removed to re-add after powering it up multiple times.  The other satellite's status is good.

Since I have removed the satellite currently the GUI only shows only one satellite which is the working one.

I see some of my apple homekit devices are not responding.

I restarted my iPhone and event this one has problem connecting to the wifi. I see the check mark in the Wi-Fi screen of the settings app, but its status bar at the top still shows LTE.

-JL

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you removed the RBS from the RBR, try a factory reset on the RBS by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Then try to re-sync to the RBR. Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS as last resort. 

Message 6 of 12
centaros
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38,

I tried this - 

1. Long press the reset button of RBS little bit more than 15 seconds. The power led was blinking orange while I was pressing.
  2. After releasing the button, the front LED started flashing white.
  3. I waited about 2 minutes then front LED became solid white.
  4. I pressed sync button once and did Add Orbi Satellite in the web GUI.
  5. The satellite's front LED started flashing white during the process. Then it got off and sync failed.
  6. I repeated #4. The LED got solid magenta.

-JL

Message 7 of 12
centaros
Aspirant

Reset everything including the router and the satellite started working again.
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset worked. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 9 of 12
raven_au
Virtuoso

@centaros wrote:

Hi @raven_au,

In the web GUI, it was showning the satellite as "Disconnected" so I eventually removed to re-add after powering it up multiple times.  The other satellite's status is good.

Since I have removed the satellite currently the GUI only shows only one satellite which is the working one.

I see some of my apple homekit devices are not responding.

I restarted my iPhone and event this one has problem connecting to the wifi. I see the check mark in the Wi-Fi screen of the settings app, but its status bar at the top still shows LTE.

What I was after here was to check if the router DHCP server had stopped giving out IP addresses.

If you try and re-connect a device such as an iDevice then (IIRC) they will just sit there with a spinning wheel looking like they are continually trying to connect, they might eventually show a message such as no internet, not sure. My Andriod phone is quite specific when this happens, it says Getting IP address and after a while says it couldn't get IP address so I know the DHCP server is no longer working.

I'm not yet certain but I'm pretty sure that satellites will show up as having an IP address ending in 250 because they can't get an IP address from the router and show an amber light indicating they aren't working properly. But that assumes the satellite is part of a kit (an RBKxxx) so they auto-sync and show up in the web UI even if they aren't quite working. If it's an add-on satellite I think they will end up with a solid white light indicating they are ready to sync. after a pin hole button reset but of course if the router isn't giving out IP addresses the sync won't work and they'll probably end up with an amber light after the sync. again. Not sure if these will show in the router web UI in this case particularly if they have been removed buy hitting the "remove" button.

Once the router stops giving out IP addresses there's not much you can do.

Re-booting the mesh can sometimes work but, and I'm also not certain about this yet either, it depends on how many devices you have trying to connect at once at the time of the re-boot. More than about 40 can make it hard for the reboot to succeed and it stops giving out IP addresses again.

One time I was able to get  a successful reboot after an hour trying but most often I have to resort to a factory reset and re-configure.

Now I have delegated the DHCP function to my NAS (and disabled it on the router) things seem to be much better but I also haven't needed to re-boot in a while either so still not sure.

I suspect that @FURRYe38 may have encountered this problem too and leaving the mesh devices powered off for some time  (overnight for example) causes devices to throttle back their re-connection attempts so that when the mesh router and satellites are again powered on there isn't such high flood of DHCP requests so the DHCP server survives.

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think i've encountered this my self. The main problem I was having when I had turned OFF my system and left it for a day is that the RBS were not sycing correctly to the RBR and the RBR would not configure AP mode from router mode with different browsers and two different PCs after I had used the the erase button feature on the RBRs web page to do a factory reset, after I had long had v4 installed. I hadn't seen any problems up to this point and someone posted that they were seeing odd problems with RBS syncing so I attempted to reproduce. Which seems I did. I got frustrated that I couldn't get into AP so I bagged it till the next day. For unknown reasons, leaving the entire system unplugged, came back the next day and resumed...RBS synced correctly while in Router mode. Didn't have to use the sync buttons. Then I was able to get the RBR in into AP mode. It configured just fine like nothing bad happened. No idea what caused the events fron the day prior. So my system has been online and running fine in AP mode. No issues, no reboots or front LEDs appearing out of no where. Orbi seems to be getting crazier for sure. Smiley Embarassed So Im now includng a full power OFF after a reset in troubleshooting steps. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL USERS of the 7 series Orbi AX system, please contact NG support by opening a support ticket and contact NG and ask them for the beta that seems to be avialable for the 7 series that seems to be directed to fixed what everyone with a 7 series has been having problems with:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

For user out of warranty, contact @Blanca_O and @DarrenM and send them a PM and ask for the beta. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/213650...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBK752-753-Firmware-Version-4-6-3-7-Released/m-p/213652...

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7