Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

run 2 different wifi networks with 1 modem?

gk7
Aspirant
Aspirant

run 2 different wifi networks with 1 modem?

I purchased the new Ax6000 RBR850 Orbi + satellites.   A couple of my laptops do not seem to want to stay connected or even recognize it consistently, despite updating the network adapter drivers.  I would like to run my older Orbi RBR50 at the same time in order for my older devices to use it.  Can I use the 2 Orbi systems at the same time if I name the networks with a different name?  Use an Ethernet Switch or bridge them with wired connection?    

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: run 2 different wifi networks with 1 modem?

If the ISP device is truly a "modem" (not a combination modem/router/WiFi device), then only one router can be connected directly to the modem.  (I suggest the RBR850.)

The RBR50 WAN port can be connected to a RBR850 LAN port with an Ethernet cable. The RBR50 can be placed in access point (AP) mode so that the RBR850 will create one IP subnet that contains all devices.  And, yes, the RBR50 WiFi SSID can be anything you want.  Devices will not roam seamlessly between the 850 and 50 networks.

Could you please identify the laptops that work with the RBR50 but do not work with the RBR850?

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. If the laptops are really old, sometimes older devices do not get along well when the "ax" feature is enabled on the WiFi system.  You might try unchecking that feature temporarily and see if it makes a difference.

Message 3 of 8
gk7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I might do that. I want to take advantage of full features for the devices that are working well.   One of the laptops is getting replaced soon, but 2 are work provided laptops so not completely in control.  One is an Asus gaming laptop that is old (~ 4 years). We uninstalled the network adapter and reinstalled and it works for a while but then disconnects and have to go through process again to see the new network.  My work laptop is a Dell Latitude 7490 and am trying to get an upgrade.  It connects but periodically disconnects and reconnects; complicated by VPN so have to continually disconnect and reconnect for my outlook and teams to stay connected.  My husband’s work laptop won’t even see it and since no admin rights hasn’t gotten drivers updated yet.   

Message 4 of 8
gk7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!  Tried connecting them but didn’t put in AP mode so didn’t work.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@gk7 wrote:

Thanks!  Tried connecting them but didn’t put in AP mode so didn’t work.

AP mode accomplishes one specific task: creating one IP subnet so that all devices appear in one subnet and can "see" each other.  For example, if a printer is connected to the new RBR850 network (to any router or satellite), it will get an IP address from the 850.  Here is how router vs. AP mode differs:

• In router mode, the RBR50 will create a different IP subnet for all devices connected to it.  If the RBR850 has created subnet 192.168.1.x, then the RBR50 will create subnet 10.0.0.x  A laptop connected to the RBR50 can access the internet just fine.  It can run VPN software to connect to corporate just fine.  What it cannot do is access that printer.
    If those laptops connect to the RBR50, then they should work.  If they do not connect at all, there is something else wrong.
  • In Access Point (AP) mode, the RBR50 does not create a new subnet.  The RBR850 router continues to assign IP addresses to every device in its network, usually 192.168.1.x  Every device connected to either the 850 or the 50 appears in one subnet.  Laptops can print to the printer no matter which unit they are connected to.

I have successfully connected three routers in a row, and devices connected to that third router access the internet just fine.  The problem is when the user wants to use specific applications, such as using VPN into the home network, exposing servers to the internet, certain internet gaming, etc. 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@gk7 wrote:

My husband’s work laptop won’t even see it and since no admin rights hasn’t gotten drivers updated yet.   

If the ax feature is disabled, the new Orbi RBR850 WiFi should be identical to the RBR50 WiFi.  If it "saw" the Orbi before, it should see it now.  By "see" means the Orbi WiFi appears on the list of available WiFi networks?  i.e. the problem is that the Orbi WiFi does not even show up to be selected?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu can run two Orbis. However I would recommend keeping the SSIDs Different from the other. 

I have done this as a couple of my modems and ISP allow for having two or more routers running at the same time while in router mode. Not all ISPs or modems allow this. 

You can run a router behind another router as well, just be sure to use the 1st routers DMZ for the 2nd router running behind it to help avoid double NAT issues. I've done this as well. 

Also be sure to use far appart channels on each system. So main system keep it at channel 1 and 40, the other system, keep it at 11 and 48. Separate and different SSID names is recommended. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7