× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding 2nd satellite works for about a day, then 2nd satellite shows as "disconnected"

BobbyWang
Aspirant

Adding 2nd satellite works for about a day, then 2nd satellite shows as "disconnected"

Mesh works with router & one satellite. Adding 2nd satellite works for about a day, then 2nd satellite shows as "disconnected", and Chromebook cannot connect with "DHCP Lookup Failure" error.
Currently running just one satellite, will try adding 2nd satellite again in a few days

Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding 2nd satellite works for about a day, then 2nd satellite shows as "disconnected"

When you factory reset, it's best to FR both RBR and RBS to ensure getting all units into a clean state. 

Sounds like it's working now. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 43

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the front LED on the RBS or RBS show any indication of a PINK LED when this happens? 

Does it show disconnected on the RBR web page and Orbi app? 

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Wired or Wireless?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

Does swapping the RBS around with each other make the problem follow the RBS or does the problem remain at the one remote location?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Does the front LED on the RBS or RBS show any indication of a PINK LED when this happens? 
Front LED on 970 is not lit up when it disconnects

Does it show disconnected on the RBR web page and Orbi app? 
Yes, 970 shows as disconnected in both places

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Wired or Wireless?
Wiewless

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
~4,500 Sq Ft

What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

~50 ft, ~2 rooms apart

What channel configurations are currently set on the router? 

2.4 GHz Auto
5 GHz 40

Does swapping the RBS around with each other make the problem follow the RBS or does the problem remain at the one remote location?

Have not tried that, will try in a few days

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

All phones are set to Phone MAC, not randomized

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?
Have factory reset the 970s, have not factory reset 971 router

Message 3 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, try the swap and see. If the problem still continues, factory reset both RBR and ALL RBS and setup from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-7-BE-Mesh-Systems/Procedure-for-Factory-Reset-of-RBE970-s...

Message 4 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Roger that

Message 5 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Might enable or force the MLO feature on the RBRs web page Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Not sure if this will help or not. 

Hoping swapping RBS around will show something different

Message 6 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 7 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 8 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Thanks for checking up.
I just factory-reset the 2nd satellite.

With Firmware 9.10.4.1, the router & 2 satellites are arranged in linear fashion, which is correct, since my router is at one end of the house, the 2nd satellite at the other end, and the 1st satellite in the middle.

With Firmware 9.11.1.1, the 2nd satellite is "Optimized" to be in star configuration, and connecting to the router, which is FAR, FAR AWAY.

I get adequate speed with just one satellite in the middle of the house, so I don't absolutely HAVE to have a 2nd satellite at the other end.

We'll see if the 2nd satellite stays connected for a few days.

Message 9 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the 2nd RBS is not connecting to the middle RBS then? 

Message 10 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Yes, with the new firmware, 2nd satellite insists on connecting to router, and not the logical satellite between it and the router

Message 11 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be curious to see if you powered OFF both RBS, Swapped the RBS around with each other, powered ON the middle RBS, let it sync then power ON the farther RBS to see if it connected to the middle RBS or the RBR. 

Message 12 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Good thought, I will try that later today

Message 13 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

5 days after Factory Reset, the 2nd Satellite is now connected in Daisy-Chain fashion.

In Star configuration, the 2nd was only connected via 5GHz.

In Daisy-Chain, 2nd connects via 5GHz + 6GHz.

So, maybe the trick after updating to latest firmware, is to Factory Reset Satellites, not Router, and wait a week 🙂

Message 14 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

When you factory reset, it's best to FR both RBR and RBS to ensure getting all units into a clean state. 

Sounds like it's working now. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Yes, I probably SHOULD factory reset the router too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Message 16 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 17 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Spoke too soon, satellites reverted to Star configuration, then both disconnected.

Factory reset router and both satellites, Mesh defaulted to Star configuration again.

I'll give it another week, but it looks like I'll have to downgrade to previous firmware.

Message 18 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Thanks for letting us know. 

I'll see if I can help reproduce this and see if I can get mine to daisy chain. 

@Straq 

Message 19 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Oh, I did swap the middle and end satellites.

So, the one that was at the end is now in the "middle", but both are connected to the router

Message 20 of 43
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hi There, 

Daisy chain should work. Can you please message me privately.

Thanks

Message 21 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you happend to have 240Mhz enabled or disabled under Advanced settings/Advanced Wireless? 

@BobbyWang wrote:

Oh, I did swap the middle and end satellites.

So, the one that was at the end is now in the "middle", but both are connected to the router

Message 22 of 43
BobbyWang
Aspirant

Advanced Wireless Settings (MLO Backhaul)

Is disabled

Message 23 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 24 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, finally, got my two RBS in daisy chain configuration. Orbi app and the system needs time to get set up and settled in. Orbi app wasn't immediate to reflect that the RBS were in DC configuration until I thought it wasn't working. After several minutes, finally displayed DC configuration:

IMG_2861.PNG

So seems like 5-10 minutes maybe need after the RBS is power cycled and reconnected that triggers a Optimation process thats seen on the Orbi app:

IMG_2859.PNG

I'll leave this running over night and check again in the morning. 

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series