× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices appear on blocked list

Seanmh72
Aspirant

Devices appear on blocked list

Starting this afternoon, several devices have begun to appear on my Access List as being blocked.

I am able to take them off, but there does not seem to be a rhyme or reason for it and I do not see any notifications/logs on this behavior.

How can I tell why these appeared?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices appear on blocked list

What devices are these? 

What NG product are you using? 

Not much to go on here. 

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Message 2 of 11
Seanmh72
Aspirant

Apologies, it didn’t keep the product.  This is the NG WIFI 7 Mesh RBE971.

Devices don’t matter.  I had my work laptop (HP/Windows), iPhone, iPad, DirecTV Stream device and a couple smart plugs, plus a couple more.

I haven’t updated/changed anything with access control since I set the device up earlier this year.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 11
Seanmh72
Aspirant

Firmware Version
V9.11.1.1_1.2.2

DZS Fiber Modem 2424A1

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you remove them from the blocked list at all? 

All this under the Access Control page? 

There is newer FW available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-7-BE-Mesh-Systems/New-RBE970-RBE971-Firmware-Version-9-12...

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps I missed it in the discussion.  On the Orbi web interface, is Access Control enabled or not enabled?

If enabled, what is the setting on 'new' devices?

CrimpOn_0-1717457365214.png

Message 7 of 11
Seanmh72
Aspirant

This is set to block new devices in the access list, but these have been on the network and connecting everyday for months.

They are not new devices.

Is there no log that will show why a device ends up on the blocked list?

Message 8 of 11
Seanmh72
Aspirant

Yes, I am able to remove them.  I am just trying to figure out how they ended up there in the first place as they are not new devices on the network.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

That is the reason for the question about randomized MAC addresses.  Apple devices have a habit of enabling this "protection" feature without notice.

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/wi-fi-privacy-secb9cb3140c/web 

This also may happen with Android phones and laptops.  I have not seen the topic raised with regard to smart plugs or Direct TV.

(Since they are no longer in the Access Control list, this may be difficult....) Do all the "Blocked" devices have MAC entries in the table which match their actual hardware MAC address.

Do you ever use the Orbi 'app'?  Some time ago, I was surprised to find devices being blocked and after much investigation concluded that I had inadvertently hit the "Pause" slider on the Orbi app (i.e. without meaning to).  I have never enabled Access Control, so it was a shock to open the web interface and find it enabled.

You are, of course, correct that it would be helpful if modifying the status of a device would result in an entry in the Orbi log file.  (There is so much that would be "helpful", but is not logged anywhere.)

Message 10 of 11
Seanmh72
Aspirant

I would buy the randomization on one device, but this occurred with approximately 10 within the span of 30 minutes.

I was not in the iOS app and hadn’t been in quite some time.

I will update the firmware tonight and keep an eye on things.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series