× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mixing old and new Orbi routers?

ShannonC
Tutor

Mixing old and new Orbi routers?

I have a RBE971(Router) and RBE970 (Sat) in place and working (which does not show up in the "Associated Products field above). I am having range issues where it does not cover my front yard. I run a smart home automation driven haunt during Halloween. It uses Wi Fi and Zigbee devices. I have Zigbee extenders which work great. I just need to expand my Wi Fi for those devices. I cannot afford to buy a new 970 series satellite. I was thinking I might just use by old Orbi Pro Wi Fi 6 Router and Satellites to create a new, separate Halloween haunt network (HHN), separate from my home network. The HHN will need Internet access for setup and maintenance of devices, but not to operate the haunt.

Does anyone have input on how this can be done?  I tried just setting up the Orbi router, but I am having issues getting to the admin page. I can connect to it via Wi Fi, but it never shows the admin page at 192.168.1.1. I tried both Chrome and Edge. After the usual not secure no HTTPS bull, it says it is not available or has moved. Shouldn't I just be able to set this up without Internet modem connection? I also tried connecting via Ethernet cable to port 1 (not WAN) but get same results.

Shannon

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Mixing old and new Orbi routers?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router 📡 and satellite(s)🛰️? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR 📡 and RBS 🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Mixing old and new Orbi routers?

What are your exterior walls made from? Certain exterior (and interior) materials block wifi really well. 

Brick, metal siding, cement, cement board, plaster lathe, stucco (has metal inside it) all can do a great job blocking wifi. 

One option, is stick one of your satellites in a window as glass lets wifi pass through it easily. Might try that before investigating buying more things. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series