Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet backhaul

Egreak525
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul

I have my Sattelite ethernet backhaul wired to my Orbi Modem Router but still do not get great speeds to devices connecting to satellite.  The satellite is in the basement and has a few devices in the basement as well as within 10-15ft on first floor.  Most devices connect to the modem/router but those that do connect to the satellite show as a weak signal and test a weak signal.  From what I know the satellite only connects via 2.4ghz signal so not sure if that's the reason or given the  location of the satellite being near HVAC ducts and not in an open space.  I have one device wired to the satellite and still don't get enough of signal for streaming connection.  Thinking I might be better off just getting rid of satellite altogether.  

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

I just want to make sure I have this right.

Your sateliite is hardwired in via a ethernet connection to the main router? 

And the device attached via ethernet to it doesn't have enought bandwidth to steam video?

what is your ISP connection speed?

Make sure the satellite is at least 30 ft away from the router. thats the minimum recommended distance.

If the streaming device is hardwired into the satellite, its not a wireless issue. So we need to determine if you don't have enough streaming bandwidth, the cables bad, the satellites bad, or where the breakdown is happening. 

If you take that same cable that is wired into the satellite, detach it and hook it to a laptop, what speeds can you get? 

What firmware is on the router and satellites?

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure Daisy Chain is disabled on the CBR. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 3 of 6
Egreak525
Aspirant

I have 100 mbps internet speed and checked the connection from the router via ethernet by connecting directly to my computer.  Speed I was getting averaged around 50mbps after testing 3 times.  It's a brand new CAt5 ethernet cable (50ft) and everything I have read is that the distance it's travelling shouldn't effect speed.  When I test wifi coming from router I typically get speeds varying from 80-110 mbps so not sure where the fall off is coming from.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

@Egreak525 wrote:

I have 100 mbps internet speed and checked the connection from the router via ethernet by connecting directly to my computer.  Speed I was getting averaged around 50mbps after testing 3 times.  It's a brand new CAt5 ethernet cable (50ft) and everything I have read is that the distance it's travelling shouldn't effect speed.  When I test wifi coming from router I typically get speeds varying from 80-110 mbps so not sure where the fall off is coming from.

@Egreak525 wrote:

Is it cat 5 or cat 5e? Cat 5 is only rated 10/100 mbps. Distance does matter but not at 50ft. 300ft is usually the max.

I'd also check the cable from the router----satellite as well to make sure its at least cat5e.   

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please re-test with a CAT6 LAN patch cable. Try a 6-12 foot length. 

@Egreak525 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7