Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4 GHZ - Do you Use Auto or Explicitly Pick Channel

stevefxp
Apprentice

2.4 GHZ - Do you Use Auto or Explicitly Pick Channel

Hello all,

I do not see anything for the Orbi, so what do people use for the 2.4 GHZ range. Do you explicitly pick a channel(1, 6, 11) or do you set it to Auto. Set to auto I am noticing that 2.4 GHZ is occupying channels 2-10. I have 20/40 MHZ coexistence unchecked.

Thanks,

Steve

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2.4 GHZ - Do you Use Auto or Explicitly Pick Channel

Depends, if your in a neighborhood or area with lots of other wifi neighbors, you might want to pick a channel to use. 1, 6 or 11. 

If not hear anyone, Auto works too. 

Message 2 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Cross channel and co-channel interference is the primary reason for poor WIFi performance. Please read the attached article to better understand why you do NOT want to use "Auto" as your WiFi channel selection.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

There's a reason that 'AUTO' is your best soultion.  

Your neighbors are possibly faced with the same problem.  

If you pick a channel and come back in a few days you'll be asking yourself why did I pick that channel.

It's like the people on the Interstate who constantly move from lane to lane.  We all meet at the red light.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7