Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC2200 unknown smart phone connected

rpcathey
Aspirant

AC2200 unknown smart phone connected

I’m showing an unknown smart phone connected to my WiFi, but I have it password protected and WPA-PSK.how can I find out who this is?

thank,you

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Enable access control and disable their access. If its someone who's supposed to be on there, they'll complain. 🙂 

Or change the wifi password and again see who complains about non working wifi. 

Message 2 of 9
rpcathey
Aspirant

Thank you, I already did that, but was trying to figure out if I could find out who it is. I’m guessing they won’t complain because they aren’t suppose to be on our network,

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing the PW and resetup those devices that you know belong on the wifi network. See if anyone comes forth. 

Look at MAC addresses on the RBRs web page and compare with phsyical devices. 

@rpcathey wrote:

Thank you, I already did that, but was trying to figure out if I could find out who it is. I’m guessing they won’t complain because they aren’t suppose to be on our network,

Message 4 of 9
rpcathey
Aspirant

how do I access the rbr page to look at mac address? sorry, not the familiar with finding this info.
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Use a web browser and navigate to orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1. Review the connected clients list. 

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@rpcathey wrote:
how do I access the rbr page to look at mac address? sorry, not the familiar with finding this info.

Once you locate the suspect device in the Attached Devices list, you can copy the MAC address and paste it into a web site that references the manufacturer database, such as this one from Wireshark: https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

For example, I pasted in the MAC address of my cute little Wyze Cam and got this: 2C:AA:8E WyzeLabs Wyze Labs Inc

If your suspect turns out to be something like Apple, Samsung, Lenovo, HTC, Sony, etc. there is a good chance it is indeed a smartphone.  If it comes back as Honeywell, Nest, IBM, HP, etc. it may be something else.

Message 7 of 9
rpcathey
Aspirant

I did find out it's an apple smart phone.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@rpcathey wrote:
I did find out it's an apple smart phone.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7