Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ARP table changes - ORBI RBR40 and three sattelites

jmrobles
Aspirant

ARP table changes - ORBI RBR40 and three sattelites

RBR40 and three sattelites

Firmware V2.5.1.16

2-6 times per day I see the following change in the ARP table

IP:192.168.1.250, Old MAC: ??-??-??-??-??-18, New MAC: ??-??-??-??-??-90

The ??-18 MAC address is the main router which has an IP of 192.18.1.1 not 192.168.1.250

The ??-90 MAC address is one of the sattelites which has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 not 192.168.1.250

What is ORBI doing ??

Thanks is advance for the help

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ARP table changes - ORBI RBR40 and three sattelites

Where are you seeing this report?

• In the Orbi log file?
  • On a computer?
Message 2 of 8
jmrobles
Aspirant

GlassWire for windows network monitor

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Is Daisy Chain Enabled or disabled? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Set up IP address reservations for the RBS. 

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, this is indeed a puzzle.  192.168.1.250 does not respond to ICMP on my network (one Orbi router, one satellite).

When I attempt to ping it, the ARP requests are never answered.

192.168.1.250 is known to be an IP address that Netgear uses for configuring networking gear, primarily WiFi extenders. (Google search)

I got nothin.

Message 5 of 8
jmrobles
Aspirant

The distance between the main router and the sattelite that is being swapped in the arp table is +-31 feet way with no walls in the way.

When I ping 192.168.1.250 I get no response from 192.168.1.250 but then 192.168.1.59 responds which is one of the three Sattelites and not the main router(RBR40). see below

Pinging 192.168.1.250 with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 192.168.1.59: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 192.168.1.59: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Appears to be internal to the ORBI system. Any ideas??

Message 6 of 8
jmrobles
Aspirant

Daisy chain is enables

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, factory reset the RBR and RBS. I would disconnect all other devices from the RBR and RBS. Setup the RBR first using 1 wired PC. I would disable Daisy Chain first. Then sync the RBS to the RBR one at a time. Setup a IP address reservation ON the RBR for each of the RBS. Once they are connected and setup with the RBR. Turn them OFF and place back in there remote locations. I would connect the rest of your devices and network back to the RBR. Then turn on the RBS one at a time. Then let things settle in. Check the logs. Or turn on the RBS first, then connect the rest of your devices and networking to the RBR. Check logs. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7