Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Control Bug in Orbi V2.2.1.210

mc64
Tutor

Access Control Bug in Orbi V2.2.1.210

Until the last firmware upgrade, access control worked fine. I had "prevent new devices from connecting" enabled as well. When I recently installed a new device and went to allow it to connect as I've done with other devices in the past, the "allow" wouldn't work. It also randomly sets other devices to block for no reason, including my satellite. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Access Control Bug in Orbi V2.2.1.210

Have you tried a full factory reset on the Orbi router and setup from scatch or manually installed the router FW and reset and setup from scratch to see if the problem in the control still appears? May need to try this and see.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Message 2 of 12
marquisT
Aspirant

I am having the same issue... just started a few days ago.

Orbi RBK50, V2.2.1.210

Have been using Security|Access Control for a while now, no problems.

Now the router randomly sets two of my recent devices to Blocked for no reason.

It lets me set them to "Allow", but then reverts back to "Blocked". 

How do I correct without doing a full reset and reconfiguring, which sounds painful!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would suggest asking @ChristineT  for a beta version of FW to see if this is corrected. Others have reported control problems in v210 FW.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@marquisT wrote:

I am having the same issue... just started a few days ago.

Orbi RBK50, V2.2.1.210

Have been using Security|Access Control for a while now, no problems.

Now the router randomly sets two of my recent devices to Blocked for no reason.

It lets me set them to "Allow", but then reverts back to "Blocked". 

How do I correct without doing a full reset and reconfiguring, which sounds painful!

Message 4 of 12
marquisT
Aspirant

I've finally tracked down the problem (random Access Blocked settings): it started when I added a new PC to the network via an ethernet connection. Once I disconnected, the problem went away. I put that same PC back on the network with a WiFi dongle, and then later with a USB-Ethernet adapter, and did not have the problem.

Is that a problem with this particular Ethernet port? Or something related to the current Orbi firmware? I have no idea. But thought I'd share that to see if anyone else hit this problem due to a "bad" ethernet port.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ethernet port on the Orbi or on the PC? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet adapter on the PC? 

@marquisT wrote:

I've finally tracked down the problem (random Access Blocked settings): it started when I added a new PC to the network via an ethernet connection. Once I disconnected, the problem went away. I put that same PC back on the network with a WiFi dongle, and then later with a USB-Ethernet adapter, and did not have the problem.

Is that a problem with this particular Ethernet port? Or something related to the current Orbi firmware? I have no idea. But thought I'd share that to see if anyone else hit this problem due to a "bad" ethernet port.

Message 6 of 12
mc64
Tutor

Read the entire thread or search in the communities. This is a firmware bug that Netgear has yet to address. 

Message 7 of 12
marquisT
Aspirant

I assume the PC, not the Orbi, since that is the new component in the mix. According to the Device Manager, it an Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM. There are about 20 properties that can be set (Device Manager | Network adapters | Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM| Properties|Advanced). Any thoughts about any of those parameters that might avoid this supposed conflict? Thanks.
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact Intel support and see if there is any specific settings in the adapters properties that could elliviate this issue.

You might file a support ticked as well with NG and have someone review it:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

I would also ask NG for a beta to see if it may have been fixed:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@marquisT wrote:
I assume the PC, not the Orbi, since that is the new component in the mix. According to the Device Manager, it an Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM. There are about 20 properties that can be set (Device Manager | Network adapters | Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM| Properties|Advanced). Any thoughts about any of those parameters that might avoid this supposed conflict? Thanks.

Message 9 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@marquisT Access Control seems to have a number of known issues in the current  Orbi software (2.2.1.210).

There is a new beta software that is now being tested. This is one of the features that seems to be improved in that software according to initial reviews. Can be a good idea to try the beta sw if you have the possibility. 

Message 10 of 12
nikolov333
Tutor

I found, working solution for this problem, my self:

1. Disconect or stop blocked device from you system..

2. Remove device from blocked devices in Access Control third section->View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network-> Select device check box-> Remo...

3. Add Allowed Device in Access Control second section->View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network  by entering Device MAC address and name.

4. Connect you device again to the router and check if device status is Allowed

5. Wait for Netgear Support to rollout new Firmware update and hope to have access control normaly working..

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@nikolov333 wrote:

I found, working solution for this problem, my self:

1. Disconect or stop blocked device from you system..

2. Remove device from blocked devices in Access Control third section->View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network-> Select device check box-> Remo...

3. Add Allowed Device in Access Control second section->View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network  by entering Device MAC address and name.

4. Connect you device again to the router and check if device status is Allowed

5. Wait for Netgear Support to rollout new Firmware update and hope to have access control normaly working..

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7