Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alternative to IP passthrough

MarkLOrbi
Guide

Alternative to IP passthrough

I have an AT&T uverse modem/router and the Orbi. Uverse continually has problems that I need to call AT&T about and the first thing I have to do is disconnect the Orbi or they blame all the problems on it. So I read an idea that I think might solve my problem, I'd like to connect a LAN port on the uverse router to a LAN port on my orbi router. The only thing I really care about using on the orbi is the wifi radio. This configuration would allow me to tell AT&T there's no other router connected, and allow the uverse router to continue to provide dhcp, nat and firewall services. The only thing the orbi will be providing is wifi radios. Is there any downside to doing this?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: Alternative to IP passthrough

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

The only thing the orbi will be providing is wifi radios.

What you suggest is to use the Orbi router as a wifi access point.

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi AccessPoint.

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

Is there any downside to doing this?

Only if any of this stuff is important to you:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

The only thing the orbi will be providing is wifi radios.

What you suggest is to use the Orbi router as a wifi access point.

There is a manual for the Orbi WiFi System somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a WiFi AccessPoint.

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

Is there any downside to doing this?

Only if any of this stuff is important to you:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

Great, that's exactly what I wanted. The only thing I would have liked to hang onto was a visitor network, but it's not that important.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 7
BBB73
Apprentice

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

Great, that's exactly what I wanted. The only thing I would have liked to hang onto was a visitor network, but it's not that important.

You can still have a guest network in AP mode.

Message 5 of 7
MarkLOrbi
Guide

@BBB73 wrote:

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

You can still have a guest network in AP mode.

I read the list  At this link and it indicates the guest network would not work in AP mode, although I've not tried it yet. I've had another thought about this, running in AP mode has the Orbi connected via it's internet jack. I'm going to try disabling dhcp on the orbi and connecting the orbi via it's LAN jack to my AT&T modem/router. I'd like to be able to tell AT&T that I really don't have a router connected to my modem when I have problems. If I try to tell them I have a router but it's connected in AP mode, I'm pretty sure they'll still blame the Orbi.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to see if Guest Network is avialble in AP mode. I believe it required Router mode to work.

Try suggestion #2...

@MarkLOrbi wrote:

I have an AT&T uverse modem/router and the Orbi. Uverse continually has problems that I need to call AT&T about and the first thing I have to do is disconnect the Orbi or they blame all the problems on it. So I read an idea that I think might solve my problem, I'd like to connect a LAN port on the uverse router to a LAN port on my orbi router. The only thing I really care about using on the orbi is the wifi radio. This configuration would allow me to tell AT&T there's no other router connected, and allow the uverse router to continue to provide dhcp, nat and firewall services. The only thing the orbi will be providing is wifi radios. Is there any downside to doing this?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7