Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple products are slow

bobpenn
Star

Apple products are slow

Many times during the day, my iPhone and iPad have very slow wifi, around 5 mb or less. If I toggle the wifi on and off, the both then receive at the full speed of 100MB.

Happens after I reboot Orbi and the satellite.

I have the latest firmware on the Orbi. This all started when I switched from the Airport Extreme to the Orbi.

Is this a known issue. I have seen similar postings, but am not sure if others are experiencing what I am seeing.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
Random12
Apprentice

Re: Apple products are slow

It might be that your iOS device isn't connected to the best device (i.e. Router vs Sat). Lets say the wireless signal of your Sat and Router overlap, if your iOS device was connected to the Sat and you walk to the main Orbi Router, the iOS device might stay connected to the Sat, resulting in slower speeds. By shutting on/off the wifi, you will force it to reconnect to best AP.

Before you shut/unshut the wifi, go to the device listing on the Router and Sat and see where your device is connected (and what band, i.e. 2.4G or 5G) when it gets the bad speedtest. Then when you shut/unshut the wireless and it gets a good speed test, look at whwere it is connected and what speed, see if things have changed.

Message 2 of 7
bobpenn
Star

Thanks. But what if in fact that is what is happening. What is the solution? 

Message 3 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

For now you can try turning off beamforming and perhaps try 1.4.0.16 fw with factory reset and see if that helps, it helped me still unstable but not as annoying... Again this is just some temporary suggestions until next Firmware release hopefully soon

Message 4 of 7
bobpenn
Star

Thank you again. Too bad ... I thought this very high priced solution would be the answer to my problems. May go back to the Airport Extreme for now ...

Message 5 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

I have mentioned this in another thread too but will mention again that this issue has around since 1.4.0.18 release I have been able to mitigate this to an extent by rolling back to 1.4.0.16 with a factory reset and disabling beamforming, issue started in 1.4.0.18 and persist in 1.4.0.34 I really hope next version of fw will correct this and be more stable.

Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Sounds like your iOS devices are not switching from the Satellite to the Router when you move around the house.  Older Apple devices do not do this as well as the newer ones.  My iPad Air and iPhone 5 switch properly with my Orbi, but it takes a minute or two sometimes.  MacBooks won't switch until the signal is almost gone, so for instance, if a MacBook locks onto the router and you move close to a distant satellite, you won't see the speed get better.

What model iPad and iPhone are you using?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7