Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul on 2,4 ghz

Lexkok59
Guide

Backhaul on 2,4 ghz

Since this week my Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites have a strange thing.

1 satellite has a backhaul of 5 ghz en satellite number 2 just 2,4.

I have this set now almost 4 months and it always works with a backhaul of 5 ghz.

I just rebooted everything en manually sync,

See my picture for my problem, any help is welcome!

LEx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Backhaul on 2,4 ghz

This appears to indicate that satellite two is not able to get a good connection with the router at 5G and has changed to 2,4G to get a better connection.  Radio signals are very sensitive to building materials and distances.  Are you positive that "nothing has changed" about the placement of the equipment or anything in between the units?  Sometimes even a small change in position or orientation can make a difference.

Message 2 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@Lexkok59 wrote:

Since this week my Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites have a strange thing.

1 satellite has a backhaul of 5 ghz en satellite number 2 just 2,4.

I have this set now almost 4 months and it always works with a backhaul of 5 ghz.

I just rebooted everything en manually sync,

See my picture for my problem, any help is welcome!

LEx

Could be radio interference from other WIFI networks to. Check to see what WIFI networks are close to you.

Message 3 of 8
Lexkok59
Guide

Thnx for your answer, no nothing has changed in all those months.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 4 of 8
Lexkok59
Guide

Ok, thnx, is there a way to change that backhaul channell to a different channel?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 8

It can't hurt to factory reset the lone satellite that is having the issue.  Re-sync it directly to the router at an initial distance of 10-20 feet and see if that doesn't allow it to connect the backhaul at 5GHz.  Give it 10-30 minutes at the closer position to complete syncing, then move it back to its original location.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lexkok59 wrote:

Ok, thnx, is there a way to change that backhaul channell to a different channel?

I believe you will find that the 2.4G backhaul is on the same channel as the front facing 2.4G signal.

Reason: there is only one set of radio/antenna at 2.4G.

So, changing the 2.4G channel (1-13 in Nederlands) would also change the backhaul to that frequency.

As you have discovered, something must be "desperately wrong" for the satellite to fall back to 2.4G backhaul because (a) 2.4G has lower bandwidth than 5G, and (b) the backhaul is competing with all of the other 2.4G devices for bandwidth.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7