Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Both satellites connected via ethernet, but one shows as wired, one shows as wireless

anthonymoody
Aspirant

Both satellites connected via ethernet, but one shows as wired, one shows as wireless

I have an RBR50 and two RBS50s. Everything worked great for months with wired ethernet backhaul. Then one of the RBS50s died. Received a replacement via RMA. Set it up wirelessly, and after a couple of attempts got it working and connected wirelessly. Then connected the ethernet cable to it. But both the iOS app and the orbilogin page still shows the new/replacement RBS50 as wireless (5G) rather than wired. That's the same sequence I used when I first set the system up: got it working wirelessly, then connected satellites via ethernet and they grabbed IPs over the wire. Now, I can't seem to 'force' it over to wired. Tried to re-sync and no joy. Tried enabling and disabling the Daisy Chain option, still no joy. The original, still-functioning RBS50 is still showing wired. All three units show up to date as far as firmware.

Thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Both satellites connected via ethernet, but one shows as wired, one shows as wireless

1. From the picture you posted (attached in my post here), it seems that Daisy Chain is enabled. Please uncheck it in the web GUI. It has to be unchecked in your case
  2. Have you tried the procedure I described in my previous post? That is to Factory reset the Satellite and sync it only when it's wired to the Router, don't sycn the Satellite with wireless backhaul at all.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Both satellites connected via ethernet, but one shows as wired, one shows as wireless

Is Daisy Chain enabled? Disable DS if it is...

Using v30 FW on everything? 

Turn OFF the working RBS and see if you can get the 2nd RBS working first.

Give the system time to settle in before checking the status...

@anthonymoody wrote:

I have an RBR50 and two RBS50s. Everything worked great for months with wired ethernet backhaul. Then one of the RBS50s died. Received a replacement via RMA. Set it up wirelessly, and after a couple of attempts got it working and connected wirelessly. Then connected the ethernet cable to it. But both the iOS app and the orbilogin page still shows the new/replacement RBS50 as wireless (5G) rather than wired. That's the same sequence I used when I first set the system up: got it working wirelessly, then connected satellites via ethernet and they grabbed IPs over the wire. Now, I can't seem to 'force' it over to wired. Tried to re-sync and no joy. Tried enabling and disabling the Daisy Chain option, still no joy. The original, still-functioning RBS50 is still showing wired. All three units show up to date as far as firmware.

Thoughts?

Message 2 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Thanks.

-Daisy Chain is currently enabled (box is checked) but what is DS?

-On 2.3.5.30 on all 3 devices

I'll wait for your response on DS and see if you have any other thoughts before I try turning off the working RBS...TIA.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Daisy Chain enabled? Disable DS if it is...

Using v30 FW on everything? 

Turn OFF the working RBS and see if you can get the 2nd RBS working first.

Give the system time to settle in before checking the status...

@anthonymoody wrote:

Thoughts?

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OOps was a typo. Sorry. Supposed to be DC=Daisy Chain. 

Daisy Chain needs to be disabled for RBS wired connections. 

Message 4 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Thanks. Ok I've disabled it again. Going to give the RBS50 a bit of time to see if it'll magically grab an IP over wired before turning off the working RBS50 (about which, not sure why that would have any impact on the other but...ok I guess!)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the top LED on the RBS turn BLUE then eventually turn OFF? 

Message 6 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

It has done this a few times, yes, though I've not see it turn blue in the moment so can't say what if anything it's triggered by.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Does the top LED on the RBS turn BLUE then eventually turn OFF? 

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Watch the process...you might set up the RBS in the same room as the RBR first, then watch the behavior. If you can get it setup while in the same room as the RBR, then you can turn it off and place it back at the remote location. 

Message 8 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@anthonymoody wrote:

............ Set it up wirelessly, and after a couple of attempts got it working and connected wirelessly. Then connected the ethernet cable to it. But both the iOS app and the orbilogin page still shows the new/replacement RBS50 as wireless (5G) rather than wired. ..........

I think there is something changed in 2.3.5.30 (and probably earlier packages as well) regarding wired backhaul. 

If you want to use wired backhaul then you SHOULD NOT sync the Satellite using wireless backhaul first and then connect the wires. The Satellite should be synced only once using wired backhaul

Please factory reset the satellite (using a pinclip and hold for 10 seconds), go into web GUI "Attached Devices" and click on "Disconnect" the Satellite.

Now sync the Satellite while wired to the Router.

See if this will give you better results. 🙂

Message 9 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Thanks. Unfortunately that didn't work. It sync'd but again as wireless. I wonder though if I somehow didn't do a total factory reset as the device shows up again with the name I gave it, rather than the generic out of the box designation, i.e. it's called Kids Playroom rather than Orbi-sat2 or whatever. Did I not get the factory reset correct? I thought I had since the web interface did give me the option to Remove it, which I did as you recommended. Thoughts?

(btw I also tried what the other person suggested, but the power on/off condition of the working wired satellite didn't seem to make a difference)

@ekhalil wrote:

@anthonymoody wrote:

............ Set it up wirelessly, and after a couple of attempts got it working and connected wirelessly. Then connected the ethernet cable to it. But both the iOS app and the orbilogin page still shows the new/replacement RBS50 as wireless (5G) rather than wired. ..........

I think there is something changed in 2.3.5.30 (and probably earlier packages as well) regarding wired backhaul. 

If you want to use wired backhaul then you SHOULD NOT sync the Satellite using wireless backhaul first and then connect the wires. The Satellite should be synced only once using wired backhaul

Please factory reset the satellite (using a pinclip and hold for 10 seconds), go into web GUI "Attached Devices" and click on "Disconnect" the Satellite.

Message 10 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Hmm, well, I tried it one more time and got a strange result. The web interface says it sync'd successfully, the dashboard shows it connected as Wired, BUT, the iOS app shows it daisy chained via my other satellite, wirelessly (dotted line) and magenta. And the satellite itself is pulsing white. I'm inclined to 'beleive' the iOS app since the satellite is pulsing white and not off. BTW, the satellite *never* went to solid white to prompt me to sync - it kept pulsing white. I did the sync anyway after several minutes via the web as I said, and the web said it worked, but....? 
@ekhalil wrote:

@anthonymoody wrote:

Message 11 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

As suspected, iOS was right and the web interface was wrong. iOS still showing this screenshot iOS screenshot (now amber, not magenta) and web interface showing 5G with status as Config Sync. Frustrating.

@ekhalil wrote:

@anthonymoody wrote:

Message 12 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Well, I tried it again, this time with the Daisy Chain box unselected (I've seen some speculation that this toggle is backward), and things returned to my first problematic state i.e. in hub/spoke, one sat wired, the other sat wireless, both sats showing Good for backhaul status. And iOS seems to match the web interface.

Going in circles here 😞

@ekhalil wrote:

@anthonymoody wrote:

Message 13 of 18
ekhalil
Master

1. From the picture you posted (attached in my post here), it seems that Daisy Chain is enabled. Please uncheck it in the web GUI. It has to be unchecked in your case
  2. Have you tried the procedure I described in my previous post? That is to Factory reset the Satellite and sync it only when it's wired to the Router, don't sycn the Satellite with wireless backhaul at all.
Message 14 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

It's weird - I thought I had Unchecked DC to try that, but when I went to the screen for that it was checked, as if somewhere along the way it'd turned itself back on. Well, I've now unchecked it which reboots the router, and confirmed that the DC box is unchecked. Then tried again with the sat as you descirbed. Reset, removed, and set up the satellite while wired, and LO AND BEHOLD, it WORKED!!

Thanks so much - deeply appreciated. I thought I had tried this but somehow the DC box was set opposite from how I thought it'd been set.

Anyway - you're right - set up WHILE WIRED, DC UNchecked. Thanks again!

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad disabling of Daisy Chain worked. Smiley Indifferent

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 16 of 18
anthonymoody
Aspirant

Yup it was a combo - had to disable DC and set it up wired from factory refresh. Thanks again.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Save a backup configuration to file for safe keeping.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7