Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brand new Orbi Satellite flashes (not pulses) white indefinitely and refuses to connect

Spanky2k
Initiate

Brand new Orbi Satellite flashes (not pulses) white indefinitely and refuses to connect

I took delivery of my new Orbi RBK53 setup today (RBK50 + 2 RBS50 satellites) and setup went pretty well until trying to get the satellites set up. I moved one satellite to the location where it's meant to go and plugged in the ethernet cable for the ethernet backbone. I still had reception of the wifi network from the primary Orbi device on my phone so it should have been able to have a wifi connection too. I tried adding the device using the app on my iPhone but it failed to sync. It has been stuck in a cycle with flashing white (not pulsing) ever since and no amount of turning it on or off or pressing the reset button will do anything. I managed to get the second satellite set up ok by putting it right next to the first one and syncing it there first, then updating it as requested in the Omni web page. The first satellite appears to be completely bricked. I'm not sure how though as all I did was try to sync it when connected via ethernet to the primary device and while in low wifi signal range (but still in range).

I've already wasted half of my day trying to get this mess set up. What can I do? I've connected it to a PC with a wired cable and with a fixed IP address in the 192.168.1.X range but pinging 192.168.1.1 does nothing so it looks like manually forcing a firmware update is not possible.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Brand new Orbi Satellite flashes (not pulses) white indefinitely and refuses to connect

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the satellite using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then hit the synce button on the router first then the sync button on the satellite. I would set up the satellites while in the same room as the base router first. Adding them one at a time and set up a reserved IP address ON the base router for each satellite. Once you get them connected and the top led turns on BLUE. You can power them off then place them in there remote locations.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Sync-Issues-with-ORBI-RBK50/m-p/1607593/highlight/true#M35969
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...
CONNECTING YOUR ORBI WIFI ROUTER STEPS

Before Setup powers cycle your network. (Modem, Existing Router if any)
    Connect Ethernet cable from modem to the internet port of your Orbi router.
    Plug the power into Orbi Router.
    Press On/Off button for LED to come up.
    Now check if you have internet LED solid.
    Connect to the Orbi Wireless network. Find default password under the Orbi router on the label.
    Once connected visit orbilogin.net/www.orbilogin.com
    Follow the instructions on Orbi genie page.
    You can add Satellite also on the same page.

Make sure you reset the orbi router and sattelite again.
STEPS TO RESET YOUR ORBI WIFI SYSTEM

Orbi WiFi router should be plugged into power.
    Use paper clip or pin,press and hold the reset button until power LED blinks amber on orbi router.
    Do the same on the orbi Satellite.

Message 2 of 4
Spanky2k
Initiate

Re: Brand new Orbi Satellite flashes (not pulses) white indefinitely and refuses to connect

Thanks, I had another go at holding the reset button. Held it down for a minute and nothing happened, then turned it off, pushed in the reset button and held it down while turning it on and kept it pressed for about 10 seconds and the power LED changed to red. Still, I couldn't connect over the LAN cable. I tried the same again but held it down for about 30 seconds and the LED started to flash red instead. I kept it held down for a full minute and then let go and I was then able to ping 192.168.1.1 and the flash software worked. I then went through the pairing routing in the Orbi web app and it failed. However, it seems to have actually worked as it is now shown as one of my connected devices so all seems to be good again!! Thanks for sending me in the right direction!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7