Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I add a RBS20 to a system with RBR50 & RBS50 without losing speed?

Roundy77
Follower

Can I add a RBS20 to a system with RBR50 & RBS50 without losing speed?

There are other posts that skirt around this but I’m hoping someone can specifically tell me if adding an RBS20 to an existing RBR50/RBS50 set up will slow the whole thing down to the 867 MBPS back haul of the RBR20 or will the RBS50 still have the higher 1337 MBPS back haul and it will only be the added RBR20 that has the slower back haul and leave the existing AC3000 set up as is? I could configure this in 2 ways:

1. RBR50 in basement, RBS50 on ground level and RBS20 on upper level in daisy chain set up
2. Star set up with RBR50 on ground(middle) level with the 2 satellites in basement and upper level

I’m either of these set ups can I add in the RBS20 without slowing down the whole lot to its max 867mbps speed?

Thanks!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I add a RBS20 to a system with RBR50 & RBS50 without losing speed?

@Roundy77 wrote:
I’m either of these set ups can I add in the RBS20 without slowing down the whole lot to its max 867mbps speed?

the "star" configuration is superior to the Daisy Chain because it eliminates one "hop".

Backhaul to the RBS50 will remain at the higher speed.

HOWEVER, the actual speed achieved depends entirely on (a) the distance between units and (b) the obstacles in between them (walls, appliances, etc.)

If you have it, use it.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7