Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Central internet Orbi placement?

Lylelovett
Follower

Central internet Orbi placement?

My home is a 4000 sqft rectangle. My internet connection is in a loft above a great room in the middle of the rectangle... each end of the rectangle has a couple bedrooms.

Q1: I’m not sure which system I should get in order to have coverage on both ends of the rectangle. Would I need the base unit and 2 satellites (one for each end of the house )?

Q2: Is the sheer coverage capability of each satellite overkill, or can I dial back the coverage in any way so I’m not blanketing the neighbors in each end? 🙂

Q3: any other insights would be helpful.
Message 1 of 3
nicholb
Luminary

Re: Central internet Orbi placement?

I would say you would probably want 2 satellites.  Place them on the the main floor about a 1/4 of the way to the edge of the rectangle. You want the satellite within the good coverage area of the router. they will then extend that coverage out. 

Someone may correct me, but I think I remember seeing a setting for reducing the power. Mainly you should choose either 1, 6, or 12 for the 2.4 band. That will cause the least interference. Just pick the one least used. The 5 gHz band penetrates less and is less used so you'll probably be OK leaving it on auto. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Central internet Orbi placement?

I have a similar rectangle sized home. 5000sq ft. I have my Orbi router on 2nd story far end of house and 1 Satellite at opposite end of house. About 40 feet distance between them. Nothing in between them. Getting stallar, range, coverage and performances. 

You can reduce the power of the radios, however you will need to move the Satellite(s) closer this this reduces the range on the Orbi Router. 

@Lylelovettwrote:
My home is a 4000 sqft rectangle. My internet connection is in a loft above a great room in the middle of the rectangle... each end of the rectangle has a couple bedrooms.

Q1: I’m not sure which system I should get in order to have coverage on both ends of the rectangle. Would I need the base unit and 2 satellites (one for each end of the house )?

Q2: Is the sheer coverage capability of each satellite overkill, or can I dial back the coverage in any way so I’m not blanketing the neighbors in each end? 🙂

Q3: any other insights would be helpful.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7