Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change DNS Settings on Orbi

FURRYe38
Guru

So are you now able to change DNS settings on the RBR? Circle and Armor have to be disabled so you can made changes. 

@Shahab wrote:

As issues are still happening, opened case # 42518133 with Netgear support on Tuesday via the website.  Initial email response was standard basic troubleshooting steps which I had already done, so just called them again and got 1st level support again.   They had me update router firmware again to the same version it was on and then do a factory reset of the router.   Now, I have to wait and call them back if I have issues!!! Ridiculous support, I explained to the tech that other people with different router models were having the same issue ... didn't help, per policy, they have to go through these steps before they can escalate to Level 2.

Shahab

Message 26 of 33
Shahab
Apprentice

Yes, I am able to change the DNS settings and set my own DNS servers.  Yesterday, after doing the factory reset, Netgear had me set my 2.4 Ghz channel to 11 and 5 Ghz to 44.  That hasn't helped, my connection has dropped repeatedly.

Shahab

Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. I would mark this thread as solved so others will know. Create a new post regarding your connnection issues. We'll help you out there. 

Thank you for letting us know. 

Message 28 of 33
Shahab
Apprentice

Contacted phone support again just now,agent asked what entries I had in my logs, for ex. if there were any DoS attack entries.  I told him I saw the following entries repeatedly:

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.129.195.15, port 443, Friday, April 03, 2020 16:40:26

He then had me make the following changes:

Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection based on seeing DoS attack log entries
changed MTU from 1500 to 1472
Disable SIP ALG

Said that the DoS attacks were coming from the Cable Modem.  Not sure if this opens me up to some vulnerability.

Shahab

Message 29 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

@Shahab wrote:

Contacted phone support again just now,agent asked what entries I had in my logs, for ex. if there were any DoS attack entries.  I told him I saw the following entries repeatedly:

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.129.195.15, port 443, Friday, April 03, 2020 16:40:26

Disable SIP ALG

Said that the DoS attacks were coming from the Cable Modem.  Not sure if this opens me up to some vulnerability.

When I tlook up 104.29.195.15, it belongs to a company headquartered in San Jose, CA.  (http://whois.domaintools.com/104.129.195.15 )

This is just my opinion, but I find the recommendations suspect:

• Disabling logging of DoS attempts does not make them "go away."  It only stops showing them in the log.
  • Cable modems do not have separate IP addresses, certainly not 104.129.195.15.

There is a way to see if a computer in your network has opened a connection to that IP address:

• On the Orbi debug page (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm), check the box, "Enable Telnet"
  • User a telnet to connect to the Orbi using the admin credentials ("admin" and password)
  • Type this command:

cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack

• This wlil produce a list of every "open connection" between any device in your LAN and the internet.  If one of the connections goes to 104.129.195.15, then some process on that device is connected to that IP address.

I have kept the Orbi logs from two Orbi systems since last August. Every day these Orbi's log hundreds of DoS attempts, and they never have any effect on my Orbi operation.  They are like robocalls.  I could write down the (bogus) phone number of every call that I refuse to answer (i.e. "log them").  The fact that I do not write them down does not mean that they didn't happen.

Message 30 of 33

@Shahab wrote:

Disable SIP ALG

Sounds like rubbish to me.

Who did you talk to? Not, I hope, a number you found with a web search. That's dangerous.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 31 of 33
l2lCH
Aspirant

it was CIRCLE! I had the same issue, shut it off from the mobile app, then turned in off in parental controls from the Orbi's web based site.  Bingo! Able to change my DNS!! Thanks to all for getting me started in the right path!!

Rich

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

When Circle is enabled, it takes control over DNS. 

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@l2lCH wrote:

it was CIRCLE! I had the same issue, shut it off from the mobile app, then turned in off in parental controls from the Orbi's web based site.  Bingo! Able to change my DNS!! Thanks to all for getting me started in the right path!!

Rich

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7