Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing ISP from Virgin to BT FTTP

rapshank1882
Aspirant

Changing ISP from Virgin to BT FTTP

Hi - This is my first post, so please go easy 🙂

I currently have Virgin Media (350 down/30 up) with Orbi RBR850 with one satelite running in router mode - works like a dream.  My Virgin SH3 connects directly into the Orbi router via ethernet cable.  I have no fancy setup, pretty my out-of-the-box Orbi config through the mobile app.

Virgin is out of contract and I can get BT FTTP for cheaper plus higher speeds, so I plan to make the change.

My question is, when BT install the new line into my office, can I plug directly from the ONT into Orbi via the lan cable or do I need to use their modem/router/hub then connect to Orbi via lan cable as per my current Virgin setup?

Finally, if the question above is yes, will my Orbi config 'continue' as normal (wifi names, passwords etc) once it picks up the new super charged speeds?!

Thanks in advanced!

Chris

RBR850 - V3.2.18.1_1.4.14

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
rapshank1882
Aspirant

Re: Changing ISP from Virgin to BT FTTP

Bingo!  bthomehub@btbroadband.com is the required login for for PPPoE (blank password) and all working like a charm 🙂

Thanks, Furry

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

AT most you'll need to power OFF the RBR, connect up to the new modem, power ON the modem and RBR and it should connect. 

Contact the ISP for help and information regarding there modems and connecting up any external routers. Some Modems have built in routers as well. 

Thank you.

Message 2 of 10
rapshank1882
Aspirant

Thanks, Furry will give it a try in a month from now!

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@rapshank1882 wrote:

My question is, when BT install the new line into my office, can I plug directly from the ONT into Orbi via the lan cable or do I need to use their modem/router/hub then connect to Orbi via lan cable as per my current Virgin setup?

Finally, if the question above is yes, will my Orbi config 'continue' as normal (wifi names, passwords etc) once it picks up the new super charged speeds?!

Yes, the Orbi should connect directly to the fiber ONT.  Fiber is installed in numerous ways.  Like cable modems, sometimes the ONT is "only an ONT" and the ISP wants to provide a separate box which includes a router, WiFi, etherent ports, etc. etc.  Other times, that ONT has the router and WiFi built in.  Might be worth a call to BT to ask specifically what they intend to install.  They are gaining a customer. Perhaps they will be included to answer questions. (Maybe a steady stream of customers?)

The Orbi WiFi name (SSID) and password will remain unchanged.  There is a chance that the Orbi's LAN IP subnet may change. When the Orbi receives an IP address on its WAN port, it selects a different private IP range for the LAN side.  Generally, if the Orbi is connected directly to the internet and receives a truly public IP address, it will choose 192.168.1.x for the LAN side.  If it is connected to a router which gives the Orbi a 192.168.1.x IP address, then it will select 10.0.0.x for the LAN side.

If you have done nothing to configure the LAN side, then your devices should get new IP's and continue to work.

Message 4 of 10
rapshank1882
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed description! My new line isn't installed until July 14, so I won't be able confirm or accept until then. However, from yours and Furry's posts I'm pretty confident now.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 10
rapshank1882
Aspirant

Hi Guys

Install day has come and the new FTTP is installed.  However, plugging the ethernet fron ONT to Orbi isn'y working.  No IP is being assigned and the Orbi flashes white and then solid purple.  I have tried switching off Orbi and ONT for 5 minutes a couple of times but not luck.

Do I need to reset the Orbi and carry out a new install or is there any authentication I am missing?

There are a few other posts advising it worked first time direct from ONT to Orbi, some had to use username and password/blank password PPPOE etc etc..

Thanks

Chris

BT_FTTP_ONT.jpg

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact your ISP to see if PPPoE on the Orbi is required or not...

Message 8 of 10
rapshank1882
Aspirant

Bingo!  bthomehub@btbroadband.com is the required login for for PPPoE (blank password) and all working like a charm 🙂

Thanks, Furry

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7