Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure Orbi with existing setup first, or change setup to IP Passthrough and then configure Orbi?

PCurry
Aspirant

Configure Orbi with existing setup first, or change setup to IP Passthrough and then configure Orbi?

I've read that my Uverse gateway (NVG589) will need to remain in between AT&T and my new Orbi, and that I will put the NVG589 into IP Passthrough mode to let the Orbi do its thing. 

But I want to confirm whether I should execute my first-time Orbi setup with the NVG589 as-is, or change my NVG589 settings to IP Passthrough mode before I even connect the Obi?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Re: Configure Orbi with existing setup first, or change setup to IP Passthrough and then configure O

I took a quick look at the NVG589 user guide.  I would recommend you do not use IP passthrough, as this will assign your WAN IP to both the Orbi and the NVG589. This could cause some weird behavior, as indicated in the manual.

Instead, I would turn OFF the WiFi on the NVG589 (you must do this in any case) and set the Orbi in Access Point mode.  This way, the NVG589 will do the routing and the Orbi will handle WiFi.

Message 2 of 5
PCurry
Aspirant

Re: Configure Orbi with existing setup first, or change setup to IP Passthrough and then configure O

Thank you for the reply.  Sorry, I did not include that I do have DirecTV boxes connected directly to the AT&T gateway (as well as VOIP). 

Based on another thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-and-UVerse-Wireless-Receivers/m-p/1196175#m2293) it looked like IP passthrough was a suggested approach for that setup. 

I don't think the NVG589 is doing much in the way of protection, so would like to use the Orbi as the primary router but have learned only enough to be dangerous.  Does that change anything?

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I think that thread gives pretty good instructions.  Keep in mind that those instructions will result in you having two networks--one behind Orbi and one behind the NVG589.  Any device that relies on specific features of the NVG must be connected to the NVG and will not be accessible from devices behind Orbi. That may mean your DirecTV boxes and your VOIP devices, but I cannot say without more info. If you need to keep the WiFi enabled on the NVG, you must manually set channels on the NVG and Orbi so they do not overlap.

As far as what to do first, I think you could first wire Orbi to the NVG and setup Orbi in router mode. Then when you setup IP passthrough on the NVG and select Orbi's MAC addres, Orbi should get a public WAN IP.

It's a complex configuration and there's lots of potential for confusion when setting it up.

Message 4 of 5
PCurry
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your thoughts.  Agree it looks sticky but will give it a shot!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7