Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

MontanaProf
Aspirant

Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

Hi all,

I have a new Orbi RBR20 with one Orbi Satellite.

Since I have an old modem/router from Centurylink I would like to be able to configure that to be transparent bridging mode so that it just acts as a modem.  That would leave the Orbi RBR20 as my router (rather than having two routers, one Orbi one Centurylink).

To get to transparent bridging mode so that I can set the Orbi to connect using PPPoE I need to be able to access it using a webpage, rather than just the app which gives very limited options.

How do I access the Orbi RBR20 so that I can change Connect Using to PPPoE, and using the CenturyLink account info I have to fill in my Account Name and Password ?

Thanks!

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

#1 would be best if you or the ISP can get it bridged.

#3 you can navigate to the routers web page and go to Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings and look for Router/AP Mode on the left side, select this and you'll see two options.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Once you get the ISP modem in to bridge mode. Wire connect a PC to the back of the Orbi router and use a browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and walk thru the setup wizard. Fill this out and write down information for safe keeping later. You can choose to skip the modem detection and adding of satellites. Once your in the main web page, go to the Advanced Tab and Look for Internet Set up on the left side. Here you should be able set PPPoE and enter in PPPoE values.

Message 2 of 6
MontanaProf
Aspirant

Furrye38, that is a very nice answer indeed, thank you.

Let me follow this up with another question: do I actually need to do the transition bridging?

One option I have been considering is just switching the wifi off on the Centurylink modem/router and plugging the device I have on the CenturyLink ethernet into the ethernet on the Orbi RBR20 instead.

I guess I am asking how important transition bridging is?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You may need to contact your ISP for help with the modem...
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 6
MontanaProf
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38.

Which of these 3 options is BEST? And when I say best, I mean gives me the most speed.

I currently have option 3 setup (Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.) although I don't know how to "configure AP mode on the Orbi router".

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

#1 would be best if you or the ISP can get it bridged.

#3 you can navigate to the routers web page and go to Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings and look for Router/AP Mode on the left side, select this and you'll see two options.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7