Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect to 2.4G on Orbi

Steve54
Initiate

Connect to 2.4G on Orbi

I have several devices that need to connect to the 2.4G band. I've been doing this by connecting to a Netgear extender with a different SSID that is on the 2.4G band but I would rather connect to the Orbi Router instead. It won't do it automatically.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Try to disable the 5GHz band SSID broadcast under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings. Please see below:

This will work for some devices that can't find hidden SSID's. This will not work with smart phones and other smart devices:

Namnlöst.png

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Try to disable the 5GHz band SSID broadcast under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setup >> Wireless Settings. Please see below:

This will work for some devices that can't find hidden SSID's. This will not work with smart phones and other smart devices:

Namnlöst.png

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Steve54 wrote:

I have several devices that need to connect to the 2.4G band. I've been doing this by connecting to a Netgear extender with a different SSID that is on the 2.4G band but I would rather connect to the Orbi Router instead. It won't do it automatically.

It is truly annoying that products have been designed with smartphone setup apps that cannot seem to handle modern mesh WiFi systems.  It's really clear that the device itself, having only a 2.4G radio, cannot detect or connect to a 5G WiFi signal.  Although no one seems to be certain, it appears that instead of the app telliing the device, "connect to this SSID with this password", it is instead telling the device about the MAC address of the phone's 5G WiFi connection, which the device of course cannot find.  i.e. a programming choice that is just dumb.  I have set up all kinds of things that work only on 2.4G while my smartphone is connected to 5G WiFi because their apps were written correctly.  I really hope customers who run into this situation post scathing reviews about products and put the blame where it belongs.

If temporarily stopping the 5G SSID broadcast in hopes the smartphone will switch to the Orbi 2.4G band doesn't work, there are methods to temporarily drastically reduce the 5G radio signal.

Message 3 of 4
Steve54
Initiate

So far this seems to have worked

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements