Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Content loading issues over WiFi for Orbi RBR50

njkid3
Tutor

Content loading issues over WiFi for Orbi RBR50

Details of devices connected to Orbi:

• Netgear CM1000 modem supplying the connection
  • Desktop PC hardwired running Windows 10 most recent update
  • Macbook Air (Mid 2013) running latest MacOS
  • Chromecast
  • 2 Android tablets running Nougat
  • 1 iPhone 6 (iOS 10.3.1)
  • 1 iPhone 6s (iOS 10.3.1)

I bought the router a RBR50 on 7MAY17 and it was updated to the latest firmware right away (1.9.1.12). I initially set up the router using default settings. All my devices connected with no issues. Speeds were not an issue. However, upon attempting to load content over WiFi on both iOS devices content would not load tried various apps with the same result. It showed network activity but no content was loading. I switched off WiFi and retested over LTE and experienced no issues. I began attempting various fixes.

• Rebooted router numerous time (no resolution)
  • Renewed and released leases on devices (no resolution)
  • Tried various wireless channels on both the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands (no resolution)
  • Tried various power levels (no resolution)
  • Disabled Beamforming (no resolution)
  • Disabled MU-MIMO (no resolution)
  • Disconnected my Orbi and reconnected my previous wireless router a D-Link 850L and the issue was resolved.

I want to like this router because of the good range and extremely good speeds but having to jump through all these hoops to get functionality is extremely tedious and disappointing due to the price. I hope this can be resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
njkid3
Tutor

Re: Content loading issues over WiFi for Orbi RBR50

DarrenM,

I never removed them just in case the router didn't work. I changed the SSID to a completely different one. I have been meaning to post an update to this post but I couldn't find the edit button. After spending time with customer support and going through the motions, it seemed that I had a bad firmware update. I did an additional factory reset and then reconfigured the router. This seemed to fix the issue. So a lesson learned is that there exists an intermittent issue with the Orbi where a firmware update does not fully replace the old firmware and creates issues. That last sentence is my deduction of the issues and eventual solution. Maybe a firmware update to address this possible issue is needed in the future?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello njkid3

Did you remove the old wireless network from the devices before connecting them to the orbi network? Im just guessing here but did you make the network have the same SSID as the old router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
njkid3
Tutor

DarrenM,

I never removed them just in case the router didn't work. I changed the SSID to a completely different one. I have been meaning to post an update to this post but I couldn't find the edit button. After spending time with customer support and going through the motions, it seemed that I had a bad firmware update. I did an additional factory reset and then reconfigured the router. This seemed to fix the issue. So a lesson learned is that there exists an intermittent issue with the Orbi where a firmware update does not fully replace the old firmware and creates issues. That last sentence is my deduction of the issues and eventual solution. Maybe a firmware update to address this possible issue is needed in the future?

Message 3 of 4
njkid3
Tutor

DarrenM,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7