Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy-chained RBS750 always goes to "poor" backhaul status if "Connected Orbi" briefly loses power

The111
Aspirant

Daisy-chained RBS750 always goes to "poor" backhaul status if "Connected Orbi" briefly loses power

I could not find my model in the dropdown selector. I have a RBR750 (let's call this R) with 4x satellites (RBS750) (let's call them A, B, C, D). Satellites A, B, and C connect directly to R. But D connects to A (i.e. daisy chain).

Somewhat regularly, A will lose power for 10 seconds. It reboots and gets back in working order very quickly. But D ends up with a purple status light, and when I check the "Attached Devices" page in my browser network monitoring UI, I see that D has a "poor" backhaul status (usually it is still connected through A, but occasionally it connects to R directly, at this point). It will stay in this poor status for days on end. It is not smart enough to try to fix the situation on its own. As far as I can tell, there is nothing I can do in the software UI to fix the situation. But if I simply power cycle A at the device, the problem gets instantly resolved after reboot.

Is this working as intended? It seems ridiculous that the system is aware that device has an issue yet makes zero attempts to fix it.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Daisy-chained RBS750 always goes to "poor" backhaul status if "Connected Orbi&quo

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 4
The111
Aspirant

Re: Daisy-chained RBS750 always goes to "poor" backhaul status if "Connected Orbi&amp

Thanks, I've copied my question to that other forum you mentioned. Sorry for the misplacement.

Regarding distance between devices, clearly all my devices are placed in an acceptable range since everything functions fine if they all power on at the same time. The issue is that one device briefly losing power can bork part of the network semi-permanently, and the system is aware of that issue but does not attempt to fix it. I don't think changing distances would do anything about that (nor can I change distances).

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Daisy-chained RBS750 always goes to "poor" backhaul status if "Connected Orbi&amp

Please post distanced between the current setup in the other forum.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7