Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Design help

FWIW
Aspirant

Design help

I am building a 2,000 sqft ranch style house with a 1,600 sqft workshop.  The workshop is about 100 feet away from the house.  I want one mesh network to serve both.  I'm thinking of getting the RB53 and placing the base unit at one end of the house, a satellite at the other end, then putting the 3rd satellite in the center of the workshop.  I'd connect the workshop unit to the base with Cat-6 cable using the backhaul feature.

does this make sense?  Is there a better way?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Design help

100ft distance is a bit far away to have an Mesh system to provide between each building that far away. Would be probloematic when wireless. You would be best served by having a main host router or the main orbi system with 1 satellite at the main builting, you may not even need a Satelilite here. Then run a CAT6 LAN cable buried out to the work shop building and place a wireless AP device there. 

@FWIWwrote:

I am building a 2,000 sqft ranch style house with a 1,600 sqft workshop.  The workshop is about 100 feet away from the house.  I want one mesh network to serve both.  I'm thinking of getting the RB53 and placing the base unit at one end of the house, a satellite at the other end, then putting the 3rd satellite in the center of the workshop.  I'd connect the workshop unit to the base with Cat-6 cable using the backhaul feature.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
FWIW
Aspirant

also, is it a good business practice to do a wired backhaul the satellite in the house?

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

100ft distance is a bit far away to have an Mesh system to provide between each building that far away. Would be probloematic when wireless. You would be best served by having a main host router or the main orbi system with 1 satellite at the main builting, you may not even need a Satelilite here. Then run a CAT6 LAN cable buried out to the work shop building and place a wireless AP device there. 

@FWIWwrote:

Message 3 of 9
FWIW
Aspirant

Thanks!  Sounds like a good solution.

Message 4 of 9
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you considered the Outdoor Orbi?  RBS50Y

The benefit of it, over an indoor unit, is that you can mount it outside, so it doesn't have to punch through an exterior wall to get to the distance, and it'll be weather resistant.  Our internal testing shows that you can easily get multiple 10s of Mbps at that distance in a line of sight testing.  

Best case scenario is the RBR50 can be positioned near a window or edge and the RBS50Y be put in the workshop.  Worst case, you use to RBS50Y, but that might get pricey.

Message 5 of 9
FWIW
Aspirant

I'm not very smart about this stuff and it gives me a headache! 🙂

So if I understand you correctly, I'd put the base unit at one end of the house near a window, a satellite at the other end, then putting the RBS50Y on the outside wall of the workshop facing the house?

Do you offer a design service?

Message 6 of 9
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'd put the Outdoor Orbi on the outside wall of the workshop, and the other Orbi (not sure if that's Router or Satellite) somewhere in the house, as close to the workshop as you can, preferably in a window.  To take full advantage of the speeds, you should get a RBK50 or 53 kit, not the lower spec ones.  

Message 7 of 9
Brain29
Apprentice

@FWIWwrote:

I would strongly stay way from orbi since you will rely a backhaul connection (something that hasn't worked correclty for 2 months so it has been pulled from the auto update)  

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone has problems with the Orbi system. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7