Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download and upload randomly drops every 30seconds for a few seconds then reconnects(RBR20, RBS20)

BastideDesCrete
Aspirant

Download and upload randomly drops every 30seconds for a few seconds then reconnects(RBR20, RBS20)

I got my orbi router (RBR20) and 2 orbi satellites (RBS20) in a pack that came together. It was working fine for a long time but up until the most recent firmware update it started causing a persistent problem where it would drop the download and upload speeds for a few second (maybe 2 - 5) and then would start again, this would happen every 30s - 60s. Sometimes if I restarted the router it would be fine, but the next day the problem would reoccur. This problem is very annoying if I were to stream, play games or call someone as my connection would drop so often. Another issue that could be the problem is that it gets quite hot (41*C) and that might have an issue but I doubt it.

I have looked everywhere online but I couldn't find a solution. I have tried rebooting it, factory resetting it and this hasn't impacted anything. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this? I assume it has something to do with either the firmware update (which I doubt because I can't find any other posts online) or there might possibly be something wrong with the satellite. I have also tested to make sure that it isn't my computer as I have used mobile data on my pc and it doesn't have the same issue.

I have attached a screenshot of task manager when the connection drops when I'm downloading a game.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Download and upload randomly drops every 30seconds for a few seconds then reconnects(RBR20, RBS2

Your modem seems to have a built in router and wifi already. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

I have tried the settings that you advised but it all doesn't change anything, I am currently trying to use the most stable configuration that you added as well. 

And yes I have done a factory reset after the latest update and this hasn't changed anything.

Sometimes the problem occures, whilst at other times the wifi functions normally.

Here is the other information that you have requested: 

Firmware: V2.5.1.16

ISP: Orange

Modem Model: Livebox 4

Modem made by: Sagemcom

Orbi system operating in: Router Mode

Size of home (Sq ft): 3000

Distance between Router and satellites: 10m - 15m (30 - 50 feet)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Download and upload randomly drops every 30seconds for a few seconds then reconnects(RBR20, RBS2

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

Another issue that could be the problem is that it gets quite hot (41*C) and that might have an issue but I doubt it.

Page 158 of the Orbi User Manual lists the operating temperature for the RBR20 as 0 to 40C. (32 to 104F).  Modern processors have temperature sensors which reduce the CPU frequency when the system overheats.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Do you have any method of cooling the Orbi?  As an experiment, you could put the Orbi in a cardboard or styrofoam box with some ice and see if the problem goes away.  (That is obviously not a permanent solution, but would at least allow a conclusion as to whether the temperature is an important factor.

If the problem did not exist before the recent firmware update, another step would be to download the previous firmware from the Netgear support site and do a manual firmware update.  (in this case, a "downdate" - hah)  It could be that the latest firmware has placed a higher load on the processor which makes it more sensitive to temperature.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

I got my orbi router (RBR20) and 2 orbi satellites (RBS20) in a pack that came together. It was working fine for a long time but up until the most recent firmware update it started causing a persistent problem where it would drop the download and upload speeds for a few second (maybe 2 - 5) and then would start again, this would happen every 30s - 60s. Sometimes if I restarted the router it would be fine, but the next day the problem would reoccur. This problem is very annoying if I were to stream, play games or call someone as my connection would drop so often. Another issue that could be the problem is that it gets quite hot (41*C) and that might have an issue but I doubt it.

I have looked everywhere online but I couldn't find a solution. I have tried rebooting it, factory resetting it and this hasn't impacted anything. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this? I assume it has something to do with either the firmware update (which I doubt because I can't find any other posts online) or there might possibly be something wrong with the satellite. I have also tested to make sure that it isn't my computer as I have used mobile data on my pc and it doesn't have the same issue.

I have attached a screenshot of task manager when the connection drops when I'm downloading a game.

Message 3 of 10
BastideDesCrete
Aspirant

Thank you for your very quick response, I checked when the problem was occuring and the temperature was below 40*C so I doubt it is thermal throttling. I haven't decided to revert the firmware update as of yet as I would like to try other solutions but I also don't think it would be this because I haven't seen any other posts about this online.

Message 4 of 10
BastideDesCrete
Aspirant

I have tried the settings that you advised but it all doesn't change anything, I am currently trying to use the most stable configuration that you added as well. 

And yes I have done a factory reset after the latest update and this hasn't changed anything.

Sometimes the problem occures, whilst at other times the wifi functions normally.

Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

Does this only happen using WIFI? Or do you experience the slowdown with any wired devices?

If it's just WIFI, it could be packet traffic from other WIFI devices or interference. If interference I suggest changing channels.

It could also be an ISP device or connection issue. I had an intermittent slow down of my download speeds going from 500Mbps down to 300 and upload speeds going from 50Mbps down to 4 or 5, right after switching from Velop to Orbi. After resetting and testing the Orbi, I plugged directly into my ISP modem. I still had the slowdown, so I contacted my ISP. It turned out to be a bad Tap on their side. Now my speeds are rock solid.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem seems to have a built in router and wifi already. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

Message 7 of 10
BastideDesCrete
Aspirant

@FURRYe38  I did step 3, but the issue still occurs, sometimes it works normally and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't matter if I've rebooted the wifi, it's completely random when it occurs. When I used the router on the modem, it worked fine, so it's definitely Orbi, the only thing I haven't tested is whether or not it's a specific satellite or it's the whole orbi system. I get the feeling it might have something to do with only "orbi satellite 2" but I need to test this.

Something else I've also realized is that the MU-MIMO is causing me to have massive ping fluctuations. (in a game it can be between 40(normal) and 500), I was wondering if I needed that or if I could turn it off.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So lets turn OFF the RBS and see if the problem continues with just the RBR running alone. 

Yes you can disable MIMO if you don't have any MIMO supporting devices. 

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

@FURRYe38  I did step 3, but the issue still occurs, sometimes it works normally and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't matter if I've rebooted the wifi, it's completely random when it occurs. When I used the router on the modem, it worked fine, so it's definitely Orbi, the only thing I haven't tested is whether or not it's a specific satellite or it's the whole orbi system. I get the feeling it might have something to do with only "orbi satellite 2" but I need to test this.

Something else I've also realized is that the MU-MIMO is causing me to have massive ping fluctuations. (in a game it can be between 40(normal) and 500), I was wondering if I needed that or if I could turn it off.

@BastideDesCrete wrote:

Message 9 of 10
BastideDesCrete
Aspirant

For now, with the RBS still connected, it seems to be stable, but another issue has arisen, where if I were to be in a video game for example, my ping would fluctuate, even after I have turned MU-MIMO off (if that mattered), I was wondering if you knew what might be causing this.

I think what fixed the previous problem of the wifi disconnecting randomly was turning my router to AP mode, but I am still going to test it for a couple days because it is unreliable and sometimes works fine whilst other times doesn't. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7