Reply
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite

Hi all - I have an Orbi 3 pack (1 router and 2 satellites). Am I able to use Ethernet backhaul on just 1 satellite and leave the other wireless?

Is anyone doing this?
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Master

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite

Yes you can have combination of wired and wireless backhaul

Please make sure Daisy Chain is disabled in Orbi in this case.

Here is where this setting can be changed:

Namnlöst.png

 

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite

You will know you have it working when on the Orbi app under the network map it shows a dotted line for the wireless and a solid line for the wired.  Works like a champ.

---------------
My Equipment: Cox Cable (350Mb/35Mb), Orbi AX6000 (RBR850, RBS850), w/2 x RBS50) (Wired backhaul), NG GS116PP Gigabit Smart Switch, Synology DS1019+ NAS
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite

Thank you.

Right now it’s set up wirelessly. To change over do I just plug it in to an Ethernet port or do I need to do some sort of configuration?
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE. Once this is done, do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the Orbi router. Save and apply.

Connect all follow on satellites using the above method for additional wired satellites.

Once all is connected and running. Place satellites in remote locations with there LAN cable connected and turn ON.
Be sure that Daisy Chain is disabled when you have the satellites connected.


@angelobodetti wrote:
Thank you.

Right now it’s set up wirelessly. To change over do I just plug it in to an Ethernet port or do I need to do some sort of configuration?

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite

Guys looking for some advice trying the Ethernet backhaul on my set up, modem is connected to Orbi via internet connection, LAN 1 on Orbi Router is connected to 24 port gigabit switch, everything else connected to gigabit switch, yet I am still only getting between 3-400 mbps on a 1 gig connection, if I connect everything to switch I get the same speeds but am unable to connect to App or Orbi login site, daisy chain is switched off, am I doing something wrong here? I have two satellites (RBK 53 Set Up).  Satellites  are showing as wired with good on the backhaul page on log in. I am also set up in access point mode and everything is up to date firmware wise

2B6859D0-C972-4FF0-AB31-7EBF2A24744D.jpeg

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Master

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite

Please check here if this is similar to your case?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Web-login-won-t-display/m-p/1707509/highlight/true#M52600

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6


@074 wrote:

Guys looking for some advice trying the Ethernet backhaul on my set up, modem is connected to Orbi via internet connection, LAN 1 on Orbi Router is connected to 24 port gigabit switch, everything else connected to gigabit switch, yet I am still only getting between 3-400 mbps on a 1 gig connection, if I connect everything to switch I get the same speeds but am unable to connect to App or Orbi login site, daisy chain is switched off, am I doing something wrong here? I have two satellites (RBK 53 Set Up).  Satellites  are showing as wired with good on the backhaul page on log in. I am also set up in access point mode and everything is up to date firmware wise

2B6859D0-C972-4FF0-AB31-7EBF2A24744D.jpeg


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite

It’s set up in AP mode, tried disabling beam forming, MUMMI and daisy chain modes also, I then reset Orbi and connected in router mode with no cables and enabeled daisy chain etc and there is very little difference in speeds, wire is indicating 960 mbps from switch. router is fritz box 7560, everything seems to be connecting at the 2.4 ghz band for some reason, house is two story small house so Satelites & Router should be fine, switch is Netgear 24 port switch unmanaged (NETGEAR GS324 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch), hope this helps my head is wrecked with this
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite

Have you tried the Orbi with out the switch being connected? 

I see it has some energy saving featuers which could be causing problems.

 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop


@074 wrote:
It’s set up in AP mode, tried disabling beam forming, MUMMI and daisy chain modes also, I then reset Orbi and connected in router mode with no cables and enabeled daisy chain etc and there is very little difference in speeds, wire is indicating 960 mbps from switch. router is fritz box 7560, everything seems to be connecting at the 2.4 ghz band for some reason, house is two story small house so Satelites & Router should be fine, switch is Netgear 24 port switch unmanaged (NETGEAR GS324 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch), hope this helps my head is wrecked with this

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.16.6(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 1 satellite


@angelobodetti wrote:
Hi all - I have an Orbi 3 pack (1 router and 2 satellites). Am I able to use Ethernet backhaul on just 1 satellite and leave the other wireless?

Is anyone doing this?

I do exactly this.  I have RBR50 and three RBS50s.  Two of the three satellites are ethernet backhaul and one is wireless.  The backhaul is in a hub and spoke configuration from the router, not daisy chained.  Works flawelessly.

---------------
My Equipment: Cox Cable (350Mb/35Mb), Orbi AX6000 (RBR850, RBS850), w/2 x RBS50) (Wired backhaul), NG GS116PP Gigabit Smart Switch, Synology DS1019+ NAS
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Master

Re: Ethernet backhaul on only 2 satellite


@074 wrote:
............... everything seems to be connecting at the 2.4 ghz band for some reason, ...........

@074 ,This is an important point! Which devices connect to 2.4 GHz? Dothese devices have 5 GHz capability? If you poer cycle these devices will they connect to 2.4 GHz again?

Can you please make a wifi radio scan and see which 2.4 and 5 GHz channels are being used by your surrounding.

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3836 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements