Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware Update not working

Mkerr33
Tutor

Firmware Update not working

I havent Been able to update my devices for the past 4 or 5 months even though there are updates available. Every time it searches for the update, it says the search field and it can’t download the update. Is there a way to access the update without going through the router?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Firmware Update not working

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Are you using the Orbi app or the routers web page? 

Using the web page on the router is preferred. 

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mkerr33 wrote:
I havent Been able to update my devices for the past 4 or 5 months even though there are updates available. Every time it searches for the update, it says the search field and it can’t download the update. Is there a way to access the update without going through the router?

As @FURRYe38 says, the Orbi web interface seems to be more reliable than the Orbi "app".  There is another way to update Orbi's.  Netgear provides a direct link to the latest firmware here: https://kb.netgear.com/000061054/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-26

Please read the Release Notes carefully.  One link is for the router and the other link for satellites.

After downloading the link to your PC (or Mac).  Unzip ("extract") the .img files and place them where it is easy to "browse" to them.  Then, use a web browser to access the Orbi satellites first, leave the router for last.  Log into the satellite using the IP address of the satellite, and on the Home Page, click on Firmware Update.  After satellites are updated, do the same thing on the router.  In this case, navigate from the Home Page to the Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update, and select the Manual Update tab.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mkerr33 wrote:

Is your network working?  If so, leave it alone.

How do you know there are updates available for you?  Not clear on what you're seeing.

Message 4 of 14
Mkerr33
Tutor

I’ve gotten two emails saying there are updates available and when i do The update through the app it says it can’t complete it. And the Orbi web interface says i am not connected to my orbi wifi, even though i am And I’ve tried it on 3 different browsers.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

What firmware is currently loaded? @CrimpOn's method works but if you're on a really old firmware, there's a firmware step in between that you'd need to take. 

Message 6 of 14
Mkerr33
Tutor

i'll have to check when i get home but i believe i have been unable to download the last 3 updates.  i think it is 2.3.1

i wonder if i just factory reset the system and set them back up again if that would be the easiest thing to do? 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you give us the full FW verison #? The last number value is most important. 

You can manually download FW files for your RBR20 here:https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR20.aspx#download

With a wired PC and web browser, you should be able to updat the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

Message 8 of 14
Mkerr33
Tutor

2.3.1.44 is the firmware
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can download the RBS and RBR files and update the latest on the RBS first, then RBR using a web browser and PC. I recommend using IE11, FF or Opera browsers for this...

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mkerr33 wrote:
2.3.1.44 is the firmware

why do feel you need to update?    Emails ?   From netgear?    What did they say?   Available does not mean  required

Message 11 of 14
Mkerr33
Tutor

Yes, I’ve gotten 3 emails that said to update. And for some reason my upload speed is more than double my download speed so I’m not sure if that may be why. I’m not real proficient in this so i dont know if there may be some other reason for the download speed to be so much slower. It’s usually been the other way around.
Message 12 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mkerr33 wrote:
Yes, I’ve gotten 3 emails that said to update. And for some reason my upload speed is more than double my download speed so I’m not sure if that may be why. I’m not real proficient in this so i dont know if there may be some other reason for the download speed to be so much slower. It’s usually been the other way around.

I've never heard of NG sending emails telling you to upgrade your FW unless they are responding to a support ticket.

IF your network is working, meaning can you do what you want to do?  Then I wouldn't upgrade your FW.  From my understanding, NG only pushes (auto) FW updates that contain major changes.  The others possibly would be based on what they target to fix, which means they may do nothing for you other than break your network.  Do a search on the next FW (...50??) and you'll see several posts were people who felt that had to have it and now regret it.

FYI....I haven't done a FW update since ...43? was pushed.  I don't do manual updates and my system appears to be working fine.  Meaning, when I need to check email, browse the web, or stream a movie, it works.  I could carelesss about speed as things are working.

Good luck!

Message 13 of 14
Mkerr33
Tutor

It is working, so i think i agree With you, will just leave it alone unless it stops. Thanks for the info!
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7