Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest Network isolation on Secondary Nodes/AP Mode of Orbi Systems fixed?

meegeek1
Aspirant

Guest Network isolation on Secondary Nodes/AP Mode of Orbi Systems fixed?

HiHi!

Can I check for the RBK23 / RBK53 models of orbi:

Is the Guest Network's isolation from main network fixed yet for Orbis acting as Secondary Nodes or in AP mode.

Previously:

I understand this was an issue and guest network was working properly only for the unit acting as main node in router mode.

In AP mode guest network is not isolated. Devices on guest network can still access main network (huge booboo if you ask me).

Same when Orbit is acting as secondary node in mesh.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Guest Network isolation on Secondary Nodes/AP Mode of Orbi Systems fixed?

Please clarify the meaning of "isolation".  As far as I can determine, both router and satellites behave as expected.  There are two choices:

• Devices on the Guest network can connect with devices on the primary network, or
  • Devices on the Guest network cannot connect with devices on the primary network.

There was a post recently pointing out that devices on the Guest network appear to be able to "ping" the primary network to learn which IP addresses are in use (and which are not).  However, they cannot "connect" for any other purpose.

If you have a specific concern, I am happy to set up an experiment to demonstrate how the Orbi behaves.

Message 2 of 8
meegeek1
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Please clarify the meaning of "isolation".  As far as I can determine, both router and satellites behave as expected.  There are two choices:

• Devices on the Guest network can connect with devices on the primary network, or
  • Devices on the Guest network cannot connect with devices on the primary network.

There was a post recently pointing out that devices on the Guest network appear to be able to "ping" the primary network to learn which IP addresses are in use (and which are not).  However, they cannot "connect" for any other purpose.

If you have a specific concern, I am happy to set up an experiment to demonstrate how the Orbi behaves.

Thanks for the response!

To clarify: my use case is that

I want devices on my guest network to be unable to connect to devices (pinging is fine) on my primary network.

Are you saying when in router and satellite mode. Satellites are able to broadcast Guest Network and correct behavior is observed?

What about if all Orbi devices ase used in AP Mode. Does guest network still function as expected?

Thanks for the help

my concerns stem from this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/CAUTION-Orbi-s-Wifi-Guest-Network-does-not-really-isolate-gues...

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@meegeek1 wrote:

I want devices on my guest network to be unable to connect to devices (pinging is fine) on my primary network.

Are you saying when in router and satellite mode. Satellites are able to broadcast Guest Network and correct behavior is observed?

What about if all Orbi devices ase used in AP Mode. Does guest network still function as expected?

Thanks for the help.

That is my understanding.  Alas, my Orbi is in router mode and cannot be set to Access Point mode because I have "only a modem" from my ISP.

I just now did another experiment.  Activated Guest network and connected a laptop to it.  The laptop

• Cannot "ping" a computer on the primary network (which normally responds to ICMP (ping))
  • Cannot open a web site on the primary network (I have two: Orbi and Pi-hole)
  • Cannot "iPerf3" to a server on the primary network

As far as I am able to determine, Netgear has plugged whatever "holes" existed in the earlier firmware.

(And, yes, I also think it would have been wiser for Netgear to have defined an entirely different subnet for the Guest WiFi SSID as they did on the "Pro" system. Either way, they have to do some "magic" to give customers options.)

Message 4 of 8
meegeek1
Aspirant

Thanks for helping.

You are on a RBK20 or RBK 50 ?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I have RBK50 package. (RBR50 and RBS50)

Message 6 of 8
boxtop
Aspirant

I have a similar question/concern. I am setting up new Orbi RBR20 as an AP and trying to understand the guest wifi.  I did NOT check that box to allow access to other guest/main network.  I connected my mobile phone to the guest network.  I then tried to connect a Google Home speaker to the Google Home app on the mobile phone.  I couldn't connect the speaker through the guest network (since I didn't check that box) but I could connect it using the main network.  I works.. I can see and control the speaker from my phone.  But my understanding is that it shouldn't work...right?  Because my phone is on guest network, speaker on main network... and no box is checked... so why is my guest network phone able to see and control my main network speaker?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@boxtop wrote:

I have a similar question/concern. I am setting up new Orbi RBR20 as an AP and trying to understand the guest wifi.  I did NOT check that box to allow access to other guest/main network.  I connected my mobile phone to the guest network.  I then tried to connect a Google Home speaker to the Google Home app on the mobile phone.  I couldn't connect the speaker through the guest network (since I didn't check that box) but I could connect it using the main network.  I works.. I can see and control the speaker from my phone.  But my understanding is that it shouldn't work...right?  Because my phone is on guest network, speaker on main network... and no box is checked... so why is my guest network phone able to see and control my main network speaker?

A lot of "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices work through the "cloud".  i.e. the smartphone app connects to the cloud which relays commands to the devices.  I do not have Google Home, but perhaps you could answer this question:

"Are you able to control the Google Home speaker using the app when not at home?"  (A rather bizzare question to be sure.  One wonders how a person would be able to know.  Suppose, for example, you called home on the phone and said to someone, "I am going to tell the speaker to play Mozart.  Do you hear it?"  The point is, if you can control the speaker when not even connected to the Orbi, then the control is going through the cloud.  This is what I do with my Nest thermostat when I tell it to turn down the AC before I get home.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7