Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Inconsistencies in Orbi Attached Devices Page

DougB628
Apprentice

Inconsistencies in Orbi Attached Devices Page

The Attached Devices page has inconsistencies in the "Connected Orbi" column. I've included a screen shot with the inconsistencies circled.

In particular, I'm wondering why in some cases it shows the MAC address of the Orbi Satellite, but others it does not. It also sometimes uses the name "Orbi Satellite", even though I've renamed my Satellites.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: Inconsistencies in Orbi Attached Devices Page

1. In the screen shot that you provided I can't see any device connected to "1st Satellite". Are the devices shown as connected to "Orbi Satellite" connected to "1st Satellite"? Do you ever see "1st Satellite" in the list?

2. Please provide us with some information about your setup: Is Orbi in Router or AP Mode? Is the ISP modem only a modem or does it have any routing functionality?

Message 2 of 7
Ragar99
Luminary

I've seen the same after changing the names, it's a bug.

Message 3 of 7
DougB628
Apprentice

On the router's Attached Devices page, only two devices show as being connected to 2nd Satellite, and both are visible in the screen shot. 1st Satellite never shows in the list, and the devices that show as connected to "Orbi Satellite" are actually split across both satellites.

At the moment, the router shows 39 devices on its Attached Devices page, 1st Satellite shows 14 devices, and 2nd Satellite shows 11 devices. The router says there are 16 devices connected to Orbi Router. 16+14+11 = 41.

I've also seen devices that show as connected to Orbi Router also show as being connected to one of the satellites. Right now my daughter's phone shows on the router's attached devices as connected to Orbi Router, but it also shows on 2nd Satellite's connected devices page.

My Orbi Router is in Router mode, and my modem is an Arris cable modem that is only a modem. It has no routing capability.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@DougB628 wrote:

On the router's Attached Devices page, only two devices show as being connected to 2nd Satellite, and both are visible in the screen shot. 1st Satellite never shows in the list, and the devices that show as connected to "Orbi Satellite" are actually split across both satellites.

At the moment, the router shows 39 devices on its Attached Devices page, 1st Satellite shows 14 devices, and 2nd Satellite shows 11 devices. The router says there are 16 devices connected to Orbi Router. 16+14+11 = 41.

I've also seen devices that show as connected to Orbi Router also show as being connected to one of the satellites. Right now my daughter's phone shows on the router's attached devices as connected to Orbi Router, but it also shows on 2nd Satellite's connected devices page.

My Orbi Router is in Router mode, and my modem is an Arris cable modem that is only a modem. It has no routing capability.

- For testing purposes, can you please change the satellite names to something simpler with no spaces in between.

- Can you please also test to add IP reservations for the satellites in >> ADVANCED >> Setp >> LAN Setup.

Message 5 of 7
DougB628
Apprentice

I have now renamed them to Sat1 and Sat2. I already had DHCP reservations in place for both satellites.

Attached devices list on router shows:

Router: 16 devices

Sat1: 7 devices

Sat2: 6 devices

Orbi Satellite: 6 devices (still seeing this even after renaming them - I definitely only have 2 satellites)

Total: 35 devices

Sat 1 Connected devices list shows: 14 devices

Sat 2 Connected devices list shows: 6 devices

Router count from about:16 devices

Total: 36 devices

I'm going to have to start doing this by saving the pages at the same time, as it is certainly possible that some devices might be shifting while I'm checking the counts. I did not refresh the pages, but they might refresh on their own.

I'm going to do some more in-depth analysis to identify the specific devices that are showing as connected to the router on the router, but also show as connected to a satellite.

Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@DougB628 wrote:

I have now renamed them to Sat1 and Sat2. I already had DHCP reservations in place for both satellites.

Attached devices list on router shows:

Router: 16 devices

Sat1: 7 devices

Sat2: 6 devices

Orbi Satellite: 6 devices (still seeing this even after renaming them - I definitely only have 2 satellites)

Total: 35 devices

Looks like either the router is -somehow- momentarly loosing the connection to the satellites or that the router thinks that you have more satellites than what you really have.

Please print the following parameters that will show what information the router has about your satellites:

1. Enable telnet on the router (from the /debug.htm page of the web interface)
  2. telnet to router 
  3. After loggin in, run the following print comands on the command line:
    1. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep sate_default_name[0-9]

2. root@RBR50:/# config get satellite_online_num

3. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep satellite[1-9]

4. root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep sate[1-3]
    5.  root@RBR50:/# config get orbi_dev_name1

6. root@RBR50:/# config get orbi_dev_name2

7. root@RBR50:/# config get orbi_dev_name3

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats