Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is this cable CAT5 or CAT5E?

Instarand
Aspirant

Is this cable CAT5 or CAT5E?

I’m trying to hard wire some Orbi satellites to existing cables in my house. Some are clearly labeled CAT5E while the others look like this in the attached photo. I assume these are regular CAT5 cables with 100 megabit capacity. Am I correct, or are these CAT5E cables with 1 gigabit capability? Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Is this cable CAT5 or CAT5E?

YOu are correct. CAT5 is rated for 100Mbps. 5E is rated at 1000Mbps. Though 1st gen cat cable for 5e, I recommend using CAT6 and keeping with 1 CAT cable type through out the network and home. 

Message 2 of 5
Instarand
Aspirant

Thanks. So do you agree that the cable in the attached photo from my last post is in fact a regular CAT5?
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

The marking does clealry state CAT5.

However, it's very likely that Gigabit does work like a charm. If it does not - leaving the fact away that there are CAT5 with just two pairs/four strands in the field - the problems are for 99% on the mechanical installation of the connectors, poor in-wall outlets, poor crimped patch cords, ...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. If this is something that can be replaced, I would replace it. 

@Instarand wrote:
Thanks. So do you agree that the cable in the attached photo from my last post is in fact a regular CAT5?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7