Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Low wired network speeds via RBS50

panzerbjorne
Tutor

Low wired network speeds via RBS50

I have an RBR50 with 2 RBS50s running V2.7.4.24.  The Sattelites are  connected via wifi to the Router.

I have my Macbook Air M1 and a Synology DS418play both connected to one of the RBS50s via ethernet. The Macbook Air is connected via a Baseus USB-C hub.

Both devices use Cat 7 cables. I should be getting a connection speed of 1000MBPS from the MBA to the DS.  But only seeing 100MBPs when measured with Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

Does anyone know what could be going wrong here?

I tried using the Show Statistics option on the Advanced Setup but I have a feeling this is showing me the Router not the Sattelite. Is there a way to establish what speeds the Sattelite is seeing on those wired ports? 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Jeffgear
Luminary

Re: Low wired network speeds via RBS50

I'm not aware of any feature to show satellite interface stats on the web admin page. Have you tried connecting your MBA and DS to your Router's Ethernets and seeing what transfer rate you get there? Also are both satellites giving the same result?

Also are you quoting speeds in mbps or mega bytes (MB) per sec? Factor of eight difference. 

I wonder if the Ethernet to Ethernet transfer rate on a satellite switch fabric is somehow slugged or influenced by the maximum WiFi uplink throughout. 2.4GHz is limited to 400mbs and 5GHz to 866mbps. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Jeffgear
Luminary

I'm not aware of any feature to show satellite interface stats on the web admin page. Have you tried connecting your MBA and DS to your Router's Ethernets and seeing what transfer rate you get there? Also are both satellites giving the same result?

Also are you quoting speeds in mbps or mega bytes (MB) per sec? Factor of eight difference. 

I wonder if the Ethernet to Ethernet transfer rate on a satellite switch fabric is somehow slugged or influenced by the maximum WiFi uplink throughout. 2.4GHz is limited to 400mbs and 5GHz to 866mbps. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

I don't use mac or have a synology so I'm not sure if there's a way in their own setting to check their port connection speed. That might be something you can play with. 

but i'd test with a couple different cat 6 cables. I know you said you have cat 7 but if you have a couple cat 6 cables sitting around that are around 6ft in length, I'd try testing them. All it takes is for one of the current cables to have a sketchy connection to cause the link speed to drop. 

Message 3 of 6
panzerbjorne
Tutor

Thanks I'll try with some other cables too but this is my third set.

Message 4 of 6
panzerbjorne
Tutor

That distinction may be the issue. The disk speed test is quoted in MB/s. This is a facepalm moment for me.

So that 100 MB/s speed translates to 800mbps which I guess puts this into Gigabit territory. Phew!

On a side note though, its crazy that even Gigabit ethernet is barely close to the data speeds required for video editing.

Message 5 of 6
Jeffgear
Luminary

Glad there was a simple explanation here 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements