Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi Randomly Stops Working

FCon
Aspirant

My Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi Randomly Stops Working

This is the second time this week that my Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi (RBR20) has stopped working.

That means the whole house goes down! Lights, Printing, TV Streaming Internet and the kids are on my back whining.

Yes, it has the latest Firmware Update and I have activated Amor.

When I test the network, everything is working. Modem check, it's working! Test the Telstra Smart Router GEN 2, it's working!

SO what is going on with this Orbi router?

Is it faulty as it takes about 30min of re-setting, turning it off and on, disconnecting (and waiting for it to not work to do the next fix) before it randomly starts working again!

What should I do?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

@FCon wrote:

This is the second time this week that my Orbi Mesh Wi-Fi (RBR20) has stopped working.

That means the whole house goes down! Lights, Printing, TV Streaming Internet and the kids are on my back whining.

When I test the network, everything is working. Modem check, it's working! Test the Telstra Smart Router GEN 2, it's working!

Is it faulty as it takes about 30min of re-setting, turning it off and on, disconnecting (and waiting for it to not work to do the next fix) before it randomly starts working again!

What should I do?

that could be the key right there. running 2 routers that are both in router mode can cause many issues including what you're describing. Its called a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You're options are to disable the router functions of the Telstra and put it in modem only/pass through mode (contact your isp for help with this) or you can place your orbi in AP mode. Usually its easiest to place the orbi in ap mode but then you loose some of the features of the orbi device like Armor.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@FCon wrote:

What should I do?

that could be the key right there. running 2 routers that are both in router mode can cause many issues including what you're describing. Its called a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

You're options are to disable the router functions of the Telstra and put it in modem only/pass through mode (contact your isp for help with this) or you can place your orbi in AP mode. Usually its easiest to place the orbi in ap mode but then you loose some of the features of the orbi device like Armor.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 3 of 5
FCon
Aspirant

I have reconfigured the set up by running the Orbi Router dierectly into the Modem as shown at https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT.

Let's see how this goes and thanks for your advice. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
FCon
Aspirant

I replied to "plemans" and I used his solution to fix up the problem. should I experience the same issue, I'll revert to your solution. 

Thanks for responding!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7