Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help with Teardown/Putting Orbi back together

SSM587
Aspirant

Need help with Teardown/Putting Orbi back together

One of my satellites (RBs50v2) dropped on the floor while i was moving stuff around, and the top cover (near the LED ring) came out. The casing is also open, and the transparent plastic ring thingy inside does not budge (seems to be stuck and I am unable to align the parts to click back together).

It seems this can only be fixed by taking apart the casing and outing it back together, but I can’t find any teardown tutorials.

Short of taking this to a Netgear center (we don’t have first party ones here in India as far as I know), can anyone help me with potential instructions? Or do i need to take it to a professional?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need help with Teardown/Putting Orbi back together

There maybe some screws under the RBS rubber feet that need to come out to help. Try taking thes screws out if you can. 

Find a pro person near by if you can to help. 

Hope the RBS isn't damaged and non functional. Looks like it took a big fall. 

Message 2 of 9
SSM587
Aspirant

Thanks. But doesn’t look like there are any screws (took out all feet, nothing under them). Seems the entire casing is just held together with plastic clips.

The satellite itself is functional. I have wrapped it up a bit in cling-film to avoid getting dust and other stuff inside.

Will try and reach out to a service center locally.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope they can help. Let us know how it goes. 

Message 4 of 9
gjacknow
Guide

Turns out the screws are under the plastic covering the back where the network ports and power button are.

Remove that plastic piece with sync/power/reset text and remove the two screws.

The case is split in two pieces front and back...so you also have to remove the feet in the center of the botton and either remove the bottom netgear sticker or slit it along the seam.

The peices come apart pretty easily at that point.  There are internal clips so you have to slide the front or back up/down against the other slightly.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 9
Mooose
Luminary

Would you mind posting some photos when you have it open? I have something that isn't secured correctly in my router, it rattles when I shake it. I am assuming it is an antenna, but I'd like to see what it looks like before I attempt to take it apart.

Message 6 of 9
gjacknow
Guide

Message 7 of 9
SSM587
Aspirant

Great, thanks a lot for this. I have been running the device with a tight Cellophane (Sara?) wrap to ensure no dust goes in, while keeping it at a place with sufficient ventilation.

I'll try this out over the weekend and get back with how it goes.

Btw, in case you know, are there any cables/ribbons I need to be careful with while splitting open the device?

Message 8 of 9
gjacknow
Guide

The MB and everything attached to it is screwed to one side of the clamshell.  So no cables etc to worry about.

I should have mentioned though that the screws are a T-10 torx screw.  And the hole to get to them is long and thin so a lot of bit sets won't work.  Kind of a pain.  The screws attaching the MB to the shell internally are the same as well.

An example of one that would.

https://www.geniustoolsusa.com/genius-tools-t-10-tamperproof-star-screwdriver-w-plastic-handle-175mm...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7