Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ORBI RBK23 extremely slow download speeds???

AyySwift
Aspirant

Netgear ORBI RBK23 extremely slow download speeds???

Hey guys, last week I picked up a 3 pack Netgear Orbi RBK23 for my aprox 2500 sqf house. (This house is quite open and the concrete isn't thick). So, I set my Orbi up with my old ISP (speeds were 20/5), I was getting that speed everywhere very well, today we switched ISP's with speeds (50/10) and only the router is seeing those speeds. My sattelites are getting 10/10 (full upload speed) but 1/5th of the download speed and the issue is defo not the ISP as the modem is getting good speeds. I tried; factory resetting, disabling daisy TCHAIN tech, enabling beamforming, enabling multi-mi, changing wi-fi channel, reconnecting everything etc nothing works. The sattelites are also quite levetated and nothing is blocking them. This is quite annoying as the RBK23 is advertised for 4500sqf and my house is only 2500sqf.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear ORBI RBK23 extremely slow download speeds???

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What are your wired speed test results vs wireless? 

Message 2 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

Hey, I am currently on firmware 2.5.1.16. I tried older versions like 2.3.5.30 etc same thing. The model of the modem I was provided with from the ISP is the ZXHN H267A. One sattelite is 50 feet away and the other is directly above it so I'd say around the same; 50 feet on both, I'm not expecting full speeds, but since I pay for 50; i'd expect something along 35-40 with the ORBI as with the old ISP it was easily doing the full speed no problem but now it won't even go over 10 on the same spots. Not sure what's causing this.

Message 3 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

Wired and wireless both give same results with the sattelite, but full speed on the router

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the modem working in? I believe yoru modem already has a built in router and wifi. This needs to be configured for modem mode only if possible.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/m-p/1897766/highlig...

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You might bring the RBS in maybe a bit closer to see if this helps any. Try 40 feet...I would try this as well, turn off one of the RBS and reboot the RBR and the other RBS. Test again...

I agree you should be seeing near or spot on speeds with 50Mbps. 

Message 5 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

I did 2 factory resets, before and after updates, nothing worked.

Beamforming +MIMO is already on

20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only is already done

I already tried 45-40 feet, same exact speed.

Fast roaming already off

Already tried no daisy chain ~ same issue

What I havent tried:

Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Disable: Armor, Circle

Enable WMM

Should I try those? 

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@AyySwift wrote:

I did 2 factory resets, before and after updates, nothing worked.

Beamforming +MIMO is already on

20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only is already done

I already tried 45-40 feet, same exact speed.

Fast roaming already off

Already tried no daisy chain ~ same issue

What I havent tried:

Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Disable: Armor, Circle

Enable WMM

Should I try those? YES

WMM should always be enabled. Disabling this would be one cause of slower wifi speeds.

Message 7 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

Sorry, just checked settings and its already on 😞

I thought it was something you had to turn on but i didnt touch it so its already on

any ideas? ~~~

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you speed testing with? 
Load up wifi sweet spots on your mobile device. 

Turn OFF the wifi radio on the mobile device temporarily. Walk up to one of the RBS, say 6 feet, line of site. Turn On the wifi radio on the mobile device. Open the WiFi Sweet Spots app and run it. What speed do you see on the app? 

Message 9 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

I am testing with an S10e but I also tried 2 other devices; all same issue (laptops, 1 other phone)

Message 10 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

Okay, I did the Wi-Fi speed spots and 1m away from the sattelite i'm getting 450-550mpbs and downstairs it's like 650-750mpbs

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the modem working in? I believe your modem already has a built in router and wifi. This needs to be configured for modem mode only if possible.

Message 12 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

i tried both AP and router mode on the orbi; both same speeds, does AP decrease speeds? Tomorrow, a tech from my ISP is helping me make my modem bridge mode so lets see how it goes i guess

i doubt double nat would make my speeds 1/5th tho?

would they?

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, speed can be effected by double NAT. 

Message 14 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

But the speed was bad also in access point mode :C That isn't double nat

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Are speeds slow in AP mode with the RBS turned OFF and just testing at the RBR? 

Message 16 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

in AP mode only sattelites are slow; just like router mode. the actual router is fine

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible RBS maybe faulty. 

Message 18 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

i have 2 sattelites; both have same issue

Message 19 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Might contact NG support about this. 

Try reverting FW back to v30 on the system and see, if same thing, definately let NG support know. 

Message 20 of 21
AyySwift
Aspirant

i tried reverting 3 times. guess ill contact them 😞

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7