Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear ORBI RBR50 AP vs Bridge

smuv123
Aspirant

Netgear ORBI RBR50 AP vs Bridge

Hello, I currently have my Netgear Orbi RBR50 setup as an AP (Access Point), if I switch to Bridge Mode, do I lose all my settings and configurations?  I just wanted to place a firewall with DHCP in front of my Orbi RBR50 for better configuration and network traffic utilization/analysis.   Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
smuv123
Aspirant

Re: Netgear ORBI RBR50 AP vs Bridge

Thanks for the additional insight and recommendation.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesn't support bridge mode. There is router and AP mode. If you change to router mode, then the RBR will change it's IP addressing and other features will come onine that are disabled in AP mode. Wifi SSID and PW should remain the same. 

Message 2 of 6
smuv123
Aspirant

Hello, thanks for the quick response.  I made a mistake on my original question.  Currently I have the RBR50 setup as a router and would like to just switch it as an Access Point (place a rirewall with DHCP in front).   If I change to access point, would the current features that are enabled be disabled?  While the router will definitely change IP address, would this be also the case for the devices connected via wifi?  It would probably be a good idea to backup the settings, before, and after, in case I need to return back to router config.  Probably have to do a hard reset to get back to current configuration. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the router features will be disabled while in AP mode, ie Circle, Armor DHCP server and such. SSID should remain the same. 

I recommend setting a static IP for the RBR in AP mode out side the main host routers DHCP server IP address pool. I use 191.168.1.50 for mine. That way you know where to access it all the time. 

Yes. always have a back up config saved to file. 

Message 4 of 6
smuv123
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional insight and recommendation.  

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7