Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Orbi - existing switches

fljoemon
Guide

New Orbi - existing switches

Folks,

I have Internet access through Spectrum cable (130Mbps)

I am replacing an existing Netgear WNDR-3700 with a Orbi system (Router + Satellite). The existing WNDR-3700 has two 8-port gigabit switches connected to its LAN ports and these switches reside in different rooms and have various devices connected to the switches.

Can I just setup the Orbi router and Satellite and then connect the LAN wire connecting the switches to the LAN ports of the Orbi router and everything will work as usual ... OR ..

Do I have to power OFF the switches, power OFF all the devices connected to the switches, power ON the switches and then power ON all the devices connected?

Anyone that has gone through a similar setup, please let me know.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
Random12
Apprentice

Re: New Orbi - existing switches

Hi,

Unfortunately, I assume you use DHCP, and when you replace the router (the DHCP Server) all of the clients IP address leases become invalid. You should probably reset everything, to force the client to acquire new leases from the DHCP Server 😞 

This would be the case anytime you replace a router with a completely different router, it has nothing to do with Netgear or Orbi. 

Message 2 of 3
fljoemon
Guide

Re: New Orbi - existing switches

Appreciate the response .. I was afraid I had to reset everything again .. such is the naturte of using DHCP and getting a new router. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7