Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet from Orbi RBR50

GalvestonSailor
Aspirant

No Internet from Orbi RBR50

Orbi RBR50. Orbi Firmware 2.3.5.30.   Router:  Pace/ATT 5268ACFXN.  After addition of ATT Fibre, had sporadically lost wifi requiring daily reboots.  Wifi stabilized for 3-4 months after locking in least used channel.  Last night, lost all internet access through Orbi - both wifi and ethernet cable. Router is set to DMZ+ mode and wifi is turned off but have full internet access/speed when connected to router by ethernet cable. Have previously reset Orbi and re-updated firmware.  Orbi shows "Good" Internet status with all 3 satellites and 22 devices connected.  Wireless devices all show strong wifi signal connection, but receive no data.  Orbi app shows internet is offline. Unplugged Orbi and reset/rebooted Router.  Once I verified router was fully up and connected to the internet, replugged Orbi. I still have no internet data being transmitted from Orbi either via Wifi or ethernet cable. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: No Internet from Orbi RBR50

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. Ensure this option is configured correctly ON the ISP modem for the Orbi RBR...
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

While the RBR is connected to the ISP modem. Do a factory reset on the Orbi RBR and walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR with a wired PC. This should help you get the RBR working. Test the internet access with the PC after the wizard completes. 

@GalvestonSailor wrote:
Orbi RBR50. Orbi Firmware 2.3.5.30.   Router:  Pace/ATT 5268ACFXN.  After addition of ATT Fibre, had sporadically lost wifi requiring daily reboots.  Wifi stabilized for 3-4 months after locking in least used channel.  Last night, lost all internet access through Orbi - both wifi and ethernet cable. Router is set to DMZ+ mode and wifi is turned off but have full internet access/speed when connected to router by ethernet cable. Have previously reset Orbi and re-updated firmware.  Orbi shows "Good" Internet status with all 3 satellites and 22 devices connected.  Wireless devices all show strong wifi signal connection, but receive no data.  Orbi app shows internet is offline. Unplugged Orbi and reset/rebooted Router.  Once I verified router was fully up and connected to the internet, replugged Orbi. I still have no internet data being transmitted from Orbi either via Wifi or ethernet cable. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. Ensure this option is configured correctly ON the ISP modem for the Orbi RBR...
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

While the RBR is connected to the ISP modem. Do a factory reset on the Orbi RBR and walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR with a wired PC. This should help you get the RBR working. Test the internet access with the PC after the wizard completes. 

@GalvestonSailor wrote:

Message 2 of 6
GalvestonSailor
Aspirant

Thanks!  The Pace 5268ACFXN does not specifically have a transparent bridge mode, but I kept the DMZ+ setting, "chose" the RBR50 in the Firewall settings and selected a different IP address range so that it doesn't conflict with the Orbi.  I believe these steps basically accomplish what  you were advising on the modem.  After following your steps on the Orbi router, it is now working!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
GalvestonSailor
Aspirant

Quick update:  after about 24 hours, the Orbi lost internet again.  This time, i reset the Pace as a Router (removed the DMZ+ setting), but kept radios off, then reconfigured Orbi in AP mode.  After power cycling the Orbi, internet was regained.  From what I understand (just enough network knowledge to be very dangerous), I think I am now relying upon the Pace entirely for my firewall with no security being provided by the Orbi.  Is this correct?  Are there risks/pitfalls with this configuration?  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the ISP modem and Orbi in router mode isn't working well. There has been others posting that one problem was a FW update that was pushed from the ISP that seem to make the modem not work right.

Yes, the ISP Modem is acting as your main host router and firewall. The ISP modem, depending upon how well the ISP maintains there FW and updates, this should be ok for you. Some ISP modems are not as good as stand alone routers. May or may not have similar features or additional features like Orbi. 

Does your ISP support stand alone modems by chance? Just curious here.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7