Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: No Security 5G wifi in RBS40V when wired synced.

changeway
Aspirant

No Security 5G wifi in RBS40V when wired synced.

I connected the speaker to oribi router by wired connection.

Router Wifi setting sync to the speaker, looks good.

But I found only the 2.4G sync correctly.

5G SSID synced, but Security Type is None.

I tried some times, Speaker 5G security is always None.

My PC can get IP address after connected to this no security SSID, but no internet access.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 11
ekhalil
Master

Seems that syncing of the RBS40V satellite to the router did not work.
I suggest to remove the satellite (switch off the satellite then from the web GUI >> attached devices, click on disconnect). Then do the satellite addition again.
Message 2 of 11
changeway
Aspirant

I tried several times, remove the speaker in Orbi router Web-GUI and then sync again. 2.4G wifi always good, but 5G wifi security is always None. Here are the version info:

• Hardware Version: RBS40V
  • Firmware Version: V2.3.6.4_1.0.1
Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@changeway wrote:

I connected the speaker to oribi router by wired connection.

Router Wifi setting sync to the speaker, looks good.

But I found only the 2.4G sync correctly.

5G SSID synced, but Security Type is None.

I tried some times, Speaker 5G security is always None.

My PC can get IP address after connected to this no security SSID, but no internet access.

I love that this forum enables me to learn things that I should know, but somehow never learned.

How exactly did you find that the 5G SSID has security type "None".

Message 4 of 11
changeway
Aspirant

I check my phone wifi setting, found 2 well signal and same SSID I set in my router.

One is WPA2 security protected I set in router, another is No security.

Then I login to router Web GUI check the speaker IP address, and login into speaker Web GUI.

The first Status page shows : 

Orbi Voice WiFi Status (2.4GHz)

• Name (SSID): MyHome550
  • Channel: Auto (1)
  • Region: United States
  • Wireless mode: Up to 400 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]

Orbi Voice WiFi Status (5GHz)

• Name (SSID): MyHome550
  • Channel: 36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P)
  • Region: United States
  • Wireless mode: Up to 867 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: None
Message 5 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@changeway wrote:

I tried several times, remove the speaker in Orbi router Web-GUI and then sync again. 2.4G wifi always good, but 5G wifi security is always None. ....

This seems very strange, must be something in the satellite's configuration. I suggest to factory reset the satellite (NOT the router) and then synch it again with the router..

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This has been more helpful for me than for you.  I see exactly which screen you brought up.  Sure enough, MY satellite says that both 2.4G and 5G have the same security.  It does not seem possible that your satellite can have different security settings on the channels.

My only suggestion is to

• Power off the voice satellite
  • Have the router "forget" ("delete", whatever the option is that pops up when you click on the Attached Devices screen for a satellite that is not connected)
  • "factory reset" the satellite using the paperclip
  • Perform another sync with the router.

@ekhalilknows far more than I do about the internal workings of the Orbi product.  "Maybe" there is some config parameter that could be changed using telnet.  I would hope that a complete wipe of the config would do the trick.

Message 7 of 11
ekhalil
Master

You can check the settings in your satellite using telnet commands.

Please telnet to the satellite and do the following command to print the security settings in the satellite:

nvram show | grep sectype

All but 2 of the parameters should have the value 4, which means WPA2.

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for providing this useful test.  Works great on MY system.  Alas, I fear it will only confirm the original problem. Something is "seriously wrong."

• The satellite Home Page shows the 2.4G security as WPA2-PSK[AES], but the 5G security as "None"
  • A WiFi scanner shows the 2.4G security as WPA2-PSK[AES], but the 5G security as "None"
  • Telnet shows the 2.4G security type as "4", but the 5G security type as ??? (what is the value for "None")

So, a simple correction would be to use telnet to set the offending sectype to 4 and comit the change?

Message 9 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

So, a simple correction would be to use telnet to set the offending sectype to 4 and comit the change?

Yes, setting the value to 4, commiting the changes and then reboot should fix the issue, but I still think that factory resetting the satellite should also fix the issue.

Message 10 of 11
changeway
Aspirant

I did factory reset some times, but I do not know why I cannot telnet to speaker.

Finally, I got the 5G security type synced, but another sync issue happens.

The speaker web login username and password is default username/password, not sync with router.

I do not want to do factory reset and sync any more. I think this state is OK to me.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7