Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK 50 ATT Arris BWG 210 and Sonos - Cannot play music error 701

jhjorten
Aspirant

ORBI RBK 50 ATT Arris BWG 210 and Sonos - Cannot play music error 701

I have seen many posts on this and was also told by Sonos that this particular issue could not be resolved until Netgear delivered a firmware update.  Reaching out to see if anyone has been able to solve this issue.  Keep in mind that the setup actually had been working for almost 6 months before I started seeing this issue and I made no changes on my end.  I have an AT&T Arris BGW 210 Router with an ORBI RBK 50 Wireless router connected to it.  I have set the Arris BGW210 router to Bridge mode.  I have another indoor satellite connected to the Robi router and recently installed an ORBI Outdoor satellite (now I am wondering if adding this triggered the issue).  I have 1 Sonos Play 3 and 3 Sonos Ones with Alexa connected to the Orbi mesh wifi network.  When trying to play music from my Sonos App I get an unable to load queue 701 error and when I ask Alexa nicely to play a song she listens, I ask and then nothing happens.  I can provide much more detail but wondering if anyone has a similar configuration or has any suggestions on how I may work around.  I also just bought a Sonos Amp with Sonance outdoor speakers to further extend my setup but haven't even tried to set that up yet.  Any ideas please let me know.  Thank you

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK 50 ATT Arris BWG 210 and Sonos - Cannot play music error 701

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@jhjorten 

On what basis is a firmware update needed. New feature or fix for a specific broken feature?

It strikes me that Sonos might utilize multicast protocols. If so, Orbi has support for it in the base unit but I’ve yet to get confirmation the satellites also have full support.  Look for IGMP switch in settings. 

Message 3 of 12
jhjorten
Aspirant

When I called Sonos technical support they said the issue was with the ORBI unit and not a Sonos issue.  I will look at the other settings and see what might be going on based on your other reply.  Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@jhjorten 

You're welcome.  It's always conventinet to point the finger at the other guy.  But without specifics, they're just words. 

On the off chance the most recent firmware broke something, you always have the option to downgrade as part of troubleshooting.

I also have a BGW210 here BTW and I can run my Uverse IPTV traffic happily through the Orbi.  I basically just the Arris box to give me an Ethernet connection to ATT network.  WiFi is shut off on it and the only device connected to it is the Orbi.  I'd recommend the same to any Orbi user.

Message 5 of 12
jhjorten
Aspirant

Current firmware is Orbi 2.3.1.60

Size of home is 3,600 sq feet (I am testing on a Sonos that is within 15 feet of Orbi router)

Distance between Orbi router and Satellite is about 38 feet.

I tried changing channels to 1, 6 and 11 without success.

I do have wifi neighbors, there are about 10 SSIDs that come up when I search for a network.

I enabled Beamforming and WMM and I tried diabling Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6..

Still received the same error when trying to play music direct from my Sonos App on my iPhone which is the error loading queue 701.  If I try to request Alexa to play music it will play, if I ask Alexa to play music on Sonos it is silent.  My current Sonos show connected to the 2.4 ghz channel.

If there are any other ideas or anyone has had success with an Sonos - Orbi - Arris BGW210 it would be great to hear how/if you were able to get it to work.

Thank you!

Message 6 of 12
jhjorten
Aspirant

I also have WiFi turned off on the BGW210 and have it set up in Bridge mode.  Everything connects to the Orbi just fine and with good speeds.  Just the darn Sonos won't play music anymore.  It had been working on all 4 of my Sonos devices and then just stopped.  That is the part that I am also struggling to figure out why.  Ugh.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Sonos conneting only to the RBR or to the RBS. 

You might try this when you have time, configure the ISP Modem back to router mode. You might run a quick test with Sonos connected to the ISP Modems wifi to see if the sonos works there. If so, Turn OFF wifi on the modem. Configure the RBR for AP mode. Turn OFF the RBS temporarily. 

You can have Sonos connect to either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz by checking the check mark for either radios SSID broadcast. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Try 2.4Ghz first, then swap to 5Ghz only and see.

I would test with Daisy chain, beamforming and MIMO and Fast Roaming all disabled. If sonos works by chance, then you might start enabling Beamforming first and test again. Graduate enabling MIMO then Fast Roaming. Daisy Chain isn't needed. 

Message 8 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

The BGW210 always operates in router mode. When he says it’s bridged, it just means the port the Orbi is connected to is configured as IP passthrough, but the box is otherwise always in router mode.

It’s odd the Sonos only connects on 2.4 if it also supports 5.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

True, forgot about that. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
jhjorten
Aspirant

After a bunch more research I was able to come up with a solution that seems to be working.  I hardwired my Sonos Play 3 which allowed me to utilize the Sonosnet feature.  I have an Echo Dot that I use to leverage Alexa to play music on this Play 3 so I diabled and then reenabled the Alexa skill which then allowed me to have Alexa voice commands play music on my Play 3.  I then tested my additional 3 Sonos Ones which are located in 3 different rooms on different floors then the Play 3 and they all worked.  I even went a step further since I had recently bought the Sonos ConnectAmp which I was going to use to power my outdoor speakers.  I added the SonosConnect amp thorugh my Sonos Controller app and then was able to play music through my Sonos ConnectAmp on a test set of speakers.  I still haven't fully installed everything outside but it seemed to work with my initial tests...  To be completely honest I am still not 100% sure how it all works together..  but for now it seems to be okay.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Message 11 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

If Sonos supports its own local network, I’d probably set it up the way you’re doing it now. The only additional suggestion is to get a WiFi spectrum analyzer and keep the channels separated.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7