Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK50 issues

yazi
Aspirant

ORBI RBK50 issues

Configuration:

Netgear Orbi RBK50 AC3000 WiFi 

Satellte + Router

Firmware 

V2.5.1.16

Backhaul Ethernet (tried also Wireless)

Guest Network

Both 2.4Ghz and 5.0 Ghz networks enabled

WIRELESS SETTINGS (GENERAL)
RegionEurope

2.4G Channel6(P)+10(S)

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36(P)+40+44+48

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps

House is approximately 220m2, and building material is reinforced concrete. 

Router is on the first floor and satellite on the second floor. Both APs do have overlap across both floors but with very poor signal strenghts so the satellite is needed. I have had the devices in the house since 2017 and the devices have worked well in the past although there were issues sometimes with the wireless backhaul and signal strenghts. Also the speeds for the devices connected to the satellite were significantly lower than via the router. Were particularly having intermittent issues with a Apple tv which is in a corner room and the link speed seems to be changing constantly. I had fast roaming configured earlier and it was also jumping between the router and the satellite. I have been running a ping both to the satellite and the apple tv. And i can clearly see that the connections drop sometimes. I have also reduced the signal strenghts to avoid the worst overals.. Would not like to buy a new satellite without ensuring that the device is actually faulty.. When i bought the set it cost around 700Eur, so would hope to be able to use the devices still. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: ORBI RBK50 issues

If I'm reading this correctly, your router on the first floor is connected via network cable to the satellite on the second floor. Do you have any other access points connected or just the 2 Orbi devices. 

Message 2 of 5
yazi
Aspirant

No other Wifi APs, the devices are running on AP mode. Orbi devices are connected to a 1 gig switch and have a Fortinet firewall and a 1Gb/s connection.

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@yazi wrote:
No other Wifi APs, the devices are running on AP mode. Orbi devices are connected to a 1 gig switch and have a Fortinet firewall and a 1Gb/s connection.

First thing I would do is rule out the Fortinet firewall and bypass it. See if that fixes it. If it does, something may have changed in the firewbox. Also check cable connections and try different ports on the switch. I had an HP smart switch start to malfunction. I had real slow speeds and disconnects. Switching ports solved it. But I still replaced the switch. These days I use Netgear ProSafe GB switches, unless I need smart capabilities.

Message 4 of 5
yazi
Aspirant

The issue is not occurring due to the ethernet connection, i Have tried it with the wifi backhaul and the situation is still the same although the wifi connection is not 100% reliable.. Also the only device connected to the fortinet device is the router.. the backhaul link is closed with a standalone small 1Gig switch.. I prefer to user enterprise grade kit thats why i run the fortinet box..
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7