Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 + Comcast 400Mbps -- Router reports 487Mbps Cannot get more than 220 Mbps via LAN

ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Orbi AC3000 + Comcast 400Mbps -- Router reports 487Mbps Cannot get more than 220 Mbps via LAN

Hello,

I have been using the Orbi mesh network and Comcast with awesome results.

I was in the 150Mbps Blast! plan and regulalry clocked > 200Mbps download speeds on my desktop connected via ethernet. I upgraded to the 250Mbps Extreme package and with my Arris SB6123 clocked > 300Mbps download speeds via LAN.

Last week, I upgraded the modem to a docsis 3.1 SB8200 and moved to the 400Mbps plan. The tech support person reprovisioned my modem and after restarting the router, I clocked > 480Mbps on multiple tests and multiple sites.

Yesterday, the speeds dropped to < 200Mbps and even below 150Mbps.

Connected the computer directly to the SB8200 and registered 490Mbps.

Connected the computer to the back of the router and got 220Mbps.

Did various checks including a speedtest on the router. The router registered 480Mbps download and 24Mbps upload. The desktop reports 220Mbps

I did a factory reset of the router to no avail.

I do not have WMM active. MIMO and Beamforming are ON.

Router firmware version  V2.2.1.210

Any help to get 400Mbps LAN speed is appreciated.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Re: Orbi AC3000 + Comcast 400Mbps -- Router reports 487Mbps Cannot get more than 220 Mbps via LAN

First - Happy News -  I am clocking > 400 Mbps on my desktop with every speed test.

After several factory resets doing nothing, I unchecked the "Enable Daisy Chain Topology". The router did a restart and BOOM my LAN speed went up and the wireless speeds have not suffered.

Not sure what the technical reasons are, but I am happy now.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possible something on that PC is causing problems. 

Hope you find the problem. 

@ShankarHokie wrote:
Yes. Same laptop. Slow on LAN and fast on wifi.

Now my iPhone, Samsung phone, laptops, report > 300 mbps via wireless, using the Ookla speed test app.
I killed and completely uninstalled the killer app. New sure that there was no other qos from my Dell desktop. Still LAN speed limited to 300 or below.

I guess I'll keep investigating. Not going to the gigabit plan anytime soon! 😏😏

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 + Comcast 400Mbps -- Router reports 487Mbps Cannot get more than 220 Mbps via LAN

What devices are you testing speed test with? PC? 

What apps are you using to test speeds? 

Message 2 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Hi Furry,

I am testing the speed with my ethernet connected desktop PC. Dell XPS 8930.
Modem - Arris SB8200
Speed test results:

On the router page Orbilogin.net, Google Chrome

480.29Mbps 24.16Mbps

Xfinity speed test http://speedtest.xfinity.com/, Google Chrome

205 Mbps/22Mbps

Speedtest.net
123.73Mbps/22.1Mbps

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you test with a different PC by chance? Seems like we are getting to spec speeds between the modem and router. Need to confirm by ioslating PC with a different PC if possible. Possible bad RBR unit here. 

Swapped LAN cables? 

What is the mfr and model of the network adapter in the Dell PC? 

You sure any background running apps and security software is disabled temporarily on the PC before testing? 

Wifi speeds are good with wifi devices? 

Message 4 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you test with a different PC by chance? Seems like we are getting to spec speeds between the modem and router. Need to confirm by ioslating PC with a different PC if possible. Possible bad RBR unit here. 

==> I have not tried that. I will try to connect my laptop later today

Swapped LAN cables? 

==> Yes. Comcast tech did that

==> KIller E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

You sure any background running apps and security software is disabled temporarily on the PC before testing? 

===> Yes

==> The comcast tech and I actually registered 430Mbps on our cellphones and now it has dropped to 120Mbps.  No complaints from the rest of the family ontheir laptops etc.

BTW, before I switched to the 400Mbps plan, Iwas at the Extreme 250Mbps plan and registered > 300Mbps every single time on the speed tests. 

Nothing has changed hardware or software or the number of devices.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

==> I have not tried that. I will try to connect my laptop later today

Please let us know. 

Swapped LAN cables? 

==> Yes. Comcast tech did that

==> KIller E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Check to see if this adapter has any network features that maybe interfering with speeds while connected to the router. Might contact the Mfr to see if there is any information regarding this. Hopefully testing your laptop may produce something different. 

===> Yes

==> The comcast tech and I actually registered 430Mbps on our cellphones and now it has dropped to 120Mbps.  No complaints from the rest of the family ontheir laptops etc.

BTW, before I switched to the 400Mbps plan, Iwas at the Extreme 250Mbps plan and registered > 300Mbps every single time on the speed tests. 

Nothing has changed hardware or software or the number of devices.

Message 6 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have found that web based speed tests are incredibly unreliable.

To get a much better idea of real speed from a workstation go to the windows store (hit the windows key, and click store or select windows store from your menu.)

Download the speed test app -- I think it is from Oakla or something like that.  It runs separate from web browsers and is far more accurate.

This app is free.

This will give you a much better idea of workstation to LAN speeds and I think you will be surprised.

Message 7 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Hello. I tested the speed using those apps. I got 77Mbps download speed. Onlline at speedtest.net shows 150Mbps. 

Message 8 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Tested with my daughter's laptop. Got > 400 Mbps direct from the modem and 269 Mbps from the router.

BTW - The wireless speeds have gone down significantly. My duaghter's laptop reports 20 Mbps while sittng next to the router. My galaxy phone reports 15 Mbps. Both with xfinity speedtest and speedtest.net apps.

I called the Netgear special hotline number for Costco customers. I was connected to an impatient fellow who lectured me on network theory, network parasitic loss, difference between dedicated line vs shared line etc. He would not listen to me as to how I had none of those for 2 days and got 480Mbps.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry about the bad experience with phone support. Shouldn't have happened. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One thing I would try, download the 210 FW file for the RBR unit. Use IE11 or FF or Opera to resend this FW file. After it's processed, do a full factory reset on the RBR. While the RBR reset, power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds, then back on. With a wired PC, setup the RBR router from scratch. I would do this first, don't set up any wireless devices or satellites. Just have one wired PC with the router. After you set up the router, be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls or Circle. 

Run a speed test with the PC thru the Orbi router with web browser, Try a couple different browsers to compare speeds with speedtest.net. Also download the speedtest.net app to compare. Test with different PC aswell if you think a different PC would show differences. Seen some older PCs or dual core PCs not able to report speeds much over 300-900Mb due to CPU limitations. Quad core CPUs should have no problems. 

Check results. You should be getting at spec speeds. If you do see good speeds on wired, then check wireless. Just be aware some wireless devices or adapters may not be able to support higher speed tests. Check with the mfr to see what is officially supported. 

If speeds are still bad or low accross the board, it's possible the Orbi router could be faulty. 

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Tested with my daughter's laptop. Got > 400 Mbps direct from the modem and 269 Mbps from the router.

BTW - The wireless speeds have gone down significantly. My duaghter's laptop reports 20 Mbps while sittng next to the router. My galaxy phone reports 15 Mbps. Both with xfinity speedtest and speedtest.net apps.

I called the Netgear special hotline number for Costco customers. I was connected to an impatient fellow who lectured me on network theory, network parasitic loss, difference between dedicated line vs shared line etc. He would not listen to me as to how I had none of those for 2 days and got 480Mbps.

Message 10 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Sorry about the bad experience with phone support. Shouldn't have happened. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

About 3000 sq.ft including basement. 2200 sqft at the 2 main levels

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Router in Home office to the front of the house. Satellites were the main level and upstairs. About 45 ft away in each case. No line of sight.  Walls in between.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Auto for 2.4GHz, 48 for 5GHz. Lot of wi-fi neighbors. Maybe 10. WPA2+AES

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One thing I would try, download the 210 FW file for the RBR unit. Use IE11 or FF or Opera to resend this FW file. After it's processed, do a full factory reset on the RBR. While the RBR reset, power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds, then back on. With a wired PC, setup the RBR router from scratch. I would do this first, don't set up any wireless devices or satellites. Just have one wired PC with the router. After you set up the router, be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls or Circle. 

Run a speed test with the PC thru the Orbi router with web browser, Try a couple different browsers to compare speeds with speedtest.net. Also download the speedtest.net app to compare. Test with different PC aswell if you think a different PC would show differences. Seen some older PCs or dual core PCs not able to report speeds much over 300-900Mb due to CPU limitations. Quad core CPUs should have no problems. 

Check results. You should be getting at spec speeds. If you do see good speeds on wired, then check wireless. Just be aware some wireless devices or adapters may not be able to support higher speed tests. Check with the mfr to see what is officially supported. 

I will try to do all of that. However, before I do that I want to restate that nothing has changed in any of the parameters including the FW. The only change was the Comcast speed tier went from 250 to 400Mbps. Even the modem (my own not ISP) was the same SB8200. Everything was fine for 2 days and the the drop in speed both LAN and wi-fi. It is strange.

If speeds are still bad or low accross the board, it's possible the Orbi router could be faulty. 

Update: I called the hotline today. I told the rep about the issue. The rep asked how close the router & satelittes were. When I said 50 ft, he said that it was too close! He asked me to move one satellite down to the basement. He said that the LAN and wi-fi speeds will improve.

I moved the family room satellite to the basement. He was right about wi-fi speeds (compared to earlier today)! Now my phone, laptop, surface all report 200Mbps or more (was 25 Mbps) on the speedtest!

The LAN connected desktop still reports 220 Mbps on the xfinity speed test.

Message 11 of 19
randomousity
Luminary

So, I have a couple suggestions, if you're still working on this. I saw your differential results between ISP > modem > computer compared to ISP > modem > Orbi > laptop.

I propose unplugging the Orbi satellite(s), which will ensure you're connected directly to the Orbi router.

Also, have you been conducting this test wirelessly, or over ethernet cable? Try both ways to see if one or the other is the issue. When you're running the test directly connected to the modem, you MUST be using ethernet. When you're running the test on the computer by way of the Orbi, which are you using (wifi or ethernet)? If you've been testing over wifi, which version network card does your laptop have? E.g., 802.11g, n, ac? And how many data streams does it support? 2x2? 3x3? Are you connected via 2.4GHz or 5GHz? I'm just wondering, since when you test directly from the modem, you use ethernet, and maybe when you're testing via the Orbi you're using wifi, if the discrepancy can be explained by a limitation on your laptop's wireless networking card, which band you're using, etc. 

What does it say on the QoS page in the Orbi settings? Did you run that before? If so, maybe it's possible the Orbi is limiting you based on your old connection speeds, and you need to either factory reset the Orbi to clear that, or run it again so it updates with your current bandwidth.

Message 12 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

All of the tests are done with ethernet connection on my desktop.

I can try and disconnect my satelittes. However, I have 14 devices connected in the network. Will that affect LAN speed, if they all connect to the router instead of the satellites? 

Message 13 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Here's a weird thing!!

Tested with my work laptop. It is a Dell. First tested wireless. Xfinity speed test reported 487Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload. Tested 10 times. Similar results.

Connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. Tested speed. 202Mbps download speed. Same result multple times.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I saw this thread here. I have the same Killer ethernet controller. I had it before this issue started. I have disabled the service, still the same results on my desktop

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Throttling-Wired-Ethernet-connection/m-p/1639374

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Do the Dell wireless speeds are good and same laptop wired speeds are slow? 

If you have same Killer adapter, I would look into any QoS or network traffic management features on these adapters to see if there is someting causing a slow down on the wired side. 

Can you test with a PC that doesn't have a Killer adapter installed? 

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Here's a weird thing!!

Tested with my work laptop. It is a Dell. First tested wireless. Xfinity speed test reported 487Mbps download and 8 Mbps upload. Tested 10 times. Similar results.

Connected the ethernet cable to the laptop. Tested speed. 202Mbps download speed. Same result multple times.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I saw this thread here. I have the same Killer ethernet controller. I had it before this issue started. I have disabled the service, still the same results on my desktop

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Throttling-Wired-Ethernet-connection/m-p/1639374

Message 15 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Now my iPhone, Samsung phone, laptops, report > 300 mbps via wireless, using the Ookla speed test app.
I killed and completely uninstalled the killer app. New sure that there was no other qos from my Dell desktop. Still LAN speed limited to 300 or below.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Message 17 of 19
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

First - Happy News -  I am clocking > 400 Mbps on my desktop with every speed test.

After several factory resets doing nothing, I unchecked the "Enable Daisy Chain Topology". The router did a restart and BOOM my LAN speed went up and the wireless speeds have not suffered.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Great new. Glad its working now. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@ShankarHokie wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@ShankarHokie wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7