Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Backhaul Issues

SoonerDoc
Aspirant

Orbi Backhaul Issues

Saw several posts having a similar issue as I am without a solution I could find. 

Have RBR50 and two RBS satellites.

Have modem going to ASUS router internet port.  

Have RBR50 router in AP mode connected from the yellow internet port to a LAN port on the router.

Have the two RBS50 satellites connected by direct ethernet connection (no intervening switch) to the LAN ports on the RBR50 that is in access point mode.

Before i connect the satellites everything works fine.  Wired connections to the ASUS router and wireless connections to the RBR50 in AP mode work as expected.

As soon as I connect the two satellites via wired ethernet connection to the RBR50 LAN ports, everything works as it should for about 5 minutes and then no internet anywhere, wireless or direct wired connections from the ASUS router.

Unplug the satellites and everything starts working. Sats are connected wirelessly at this point and everything is stable.  Seems as soon as the satellites are connected via direct ethernet connection to the Orbi router in AP mode system no longer works.  Unplug them and connect them wirelessly and everything is fine.

I thought you could have a wired backhaul using the Orbi sats and router?

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Backhaul Issues

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What CAT# cabling are you using between the RBR and RBS? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this happen if you just connect just 1 RBS to the back of the RBR, not both? 

Message 3 of 12
SoonerDoc
Aspirant

Cat 6 cabling

Asus RT-AC68P router

Orbis all on same firmware 2.7.1.60 for US

Cox gigablast internet on a Arris TM3402 modem

Orbi router (in AP mode) is V2. One satellite is V2 the other is V1.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

oes this happen if you just connect just 1 RBS to the back of the RBR, not both? Try each RBS one at a time to see if either one does same thing...

Message 5 of 12
SoonerDoc
Aspirant

Haven’t had a chance to test the 1 vs. 2 yet. Installed yesterday. Everything seemed to be working ok overnight, but when I had to reboot something this morning the issue started.

My issue sounds VERY similar to this guy’s problem from this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-ethernet-backhaul-issues/m-p/1606398#M35843

B. If I plug the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) into a wired ethrnet cable to the switch, and turn it on; the whole network crashes..and stays crashed. Nothing, no local internet access and no WAN internet access.
C. IF, I power up the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) and let it connect via wifi to the main Orbi router, it works fine. Though, where it is located (some 65 feet in the opposite corner of my home) the wifi connection is usually 'poor'.
D. IF, I wait till the wifi connection is established between the satellite and main router, then plug in the wired ethernet to the satellite; the whole system works perfect.
E. IF, I screw up and plug in the wired ethernet too soon, the network crashes. to recover, I need to:
1. Unplug the Satellite (RBS50), wait awhile, plug it in, and wait till the solid white light comes on.
2. RESET the satellite (RBS50) holidng the reset down for 15 seconds or more
3. Let the satellite reboot, then reconnect via wifi to the main router (RBR50) and stabilize, then
4. Plug in the wired ethernet, and I am good again.
G. IF at ANY time, the satellite (RBS50) becomes unplugged, loses power, or loses the wired ethernet connectiong; the whole network crashes when it tries to reconnect. Then, I have to repeat steps 1 to 4 again.
Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a LAN switch in between?  I thought you didn't have a switch in the mix? 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I haven't had a chance to test new FW out on mine. Last working FW that I know works for ethernet RBS and switches in the mix is v16. 

Message 8 of 12
SoonerDoc
Aspirant

I don’t have a switch in between. That is a difference from his description.

The detailed description is somebody else’s experience from the thread I referenced. I just posted his description because I am seeing the same behavior.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what happens with RBS vs RBS one at a time does...

Message 10 of 12
SoonerDoc
Aspirant

So started wit the Sat that came with the unit. It was connected via WiFi to the orbi AP. Connected the Ethernet cable directly from the Sat to the AP. Seems to be stable overnight.

Going to test by unplugging power from the sat tonight and then plug back in, leaving cables connected to see what happens.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok,,,thats some progress...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements